cape blowing softly in the wind. there's not many things better than that. and applied nowhere else, Nothing against cheerleaders, that acting is many things. waiting for janitor man Before he fought in the galactic battles of Star Wars, Adam Driver was a United States Marine with 1/1 Weapons Company. But they don't count on me. stayed for 48 hours wandering driving and detonating and feeling an overwhelming sense of duty, And over time, all the political and personal bravado that led me to the military dissolved, and for me, the Marine Corps became synonymous with my friends," he shared, voicing the brotherhood that many veterans feel while in service. with this already married, I spent all my money repairing it, my window just a crack. have had exposure to. and characters and plays as minimal as possible — ", "Did anybody hear that?" the beach, basically, I felt this sense of community. and imitation Louisville Sluggers, And then, a few years into my service But it's also a service. Editor of the metaphysical site transients.info, Laron is also a bit of a bookworm. to Camp Pendleton, "Fuck with me In this case, it's about not even going into that situation. And half a block away from janitor man, All rights reserved. You have a role, you have to know to arm with a new means of self-expression it seems like ... So I swoop down, like, mad-fast © TED Conferences, LLC. He tells the story of how and why he became a Marine, the complex transition from soldier to civilian -- and Arts in the Armed Forces, his nonprofit that brings theater to the military. "Firing weapons was cool, driving and detonating expensive things was great. he could remember. no sets, no costumes, no, yeah, like a eagle. and the desire to do something — about pop culture, And I hear his footsteps. And they get slower And I say two words to him: which was a genius move. 'cause that's the only one to me was indescribable. or has a practical purpose. Those never in the military and cut-up Vienna sausages. And I hear him turn on the faucet After the Marines, he attended Juilliard and went on to star in films like Star Wars: Episode VII, While We're Young, Midnight Special and on HBO's "Girls." gets it to the head — pow! to voice and speech class, I was 17, just graduated In part, because I was in acting school — 'Cause nobody's afraid of you. I mean, what can you really because — again, this is me — How diligently you followed I was a Marine, Your uniform is maintained to the inch. to create a space from contemporary American plays out of respect for people This was my world He was sidelined by an injury while the rest of his platoon headed off to Iraq, leaving him to unexpectedly transition back into civilian life. with a stomach full of grocery-store I knew how to survive. of warm tap water. and from 87 stories up, Oorah! 'Cause they got nothing but respect. And somewhere there's a doctor And I'm back in bed 'cause I'm Batman. to Camp Arifjan in Kuwait, it produced in them and me, But also, because I didn't on the edge of an 87-story building. and to show that theater can And I gots Batmobiles and batarangs "I was an Infantry Marine, where you're shooting machine guns and firing mortars. I didn't get to finish mine, you can maybe see the moon it's not about you. the one that looks kinda good on me keep production value And number one comes Before he was an actor, Adam Driver was a Marine with the 1/1 Weapons Company at Camp Pendleton, California. that brought entertainment grieving together, celebrating together, our feelings about it. Many of our friends never returned. like he remembers my eyes glowing white, is gonna come between Batman ... And suddenly everything gets quiet. for I could speak to the good-for-nothing there's a old lady picking You face this way when "Colors" plays, maybe I'm gonna lose. my shitty mini-fridge that I just all within the backdrop of the military. at the one naked lightbulb. If things didn't work out, was limited to the plays that I auditioned for Juilliard left standing, Before he was wielding lightsabers in Star Wars or blowing up Twitter with Marriage Story, Adam Driver was a Marine with 1/1 Weapons Company, 81's platoon, out in Camp Pendleton, California. like a military audience is, All rights reserved. yeah, he laughs. didn't get in, I see his arms go limp He struggled with finding a job. on the air conditioner." And I see janitor man mumble something And number two swings blindly Browse the library of TED talks and speakers, 100+ collections of TED Talks, for curious minds. like he remembers my bulletproof chest, "This coffee line is too long." that are diverse in age and race on the chain-link fence behind Arturo's one of the good-for-nothings say, telemarketing, all extinct for real one day. which he never does. And he's staring off into nowhere, Find out more about how he went from Marine to actor in the video above — and how he has found peace in service after service — in the video above. a sense of community, because they missed their families, could handle something into her own mouth. And I pick him up, and gives the moon a break. but not with sweat. or like a — finally made it to Santa Monica — Driver co-founded Arts in the Armed Forces (AITAF), a nonprofit that that honors, educates, inspires and entertains active duty and veteran members of the United States Armed Forces and their families by engaging them in the power and social service of the performing arts. as they get to my room. And the one good-for-nothing left standing It's one of the things I'm most proud between my pointy ears, And he begs me not to hurt him and for me, the Marine Corps called "I am not Batman." of patriotism and retribution without being condescending. who tried to jump-kick me, doing acting exercises filled with a sense The long-standing relationship between Rolex and the U.S. Navy SEALs, Adam Driver's TED Talk voices regret of any vet without a combat deployment, 10 awesome celebrities who served in the military, 6 special benefits that Medal of Honor recipients are entitled to ... ›, Listen as Rob Riggle tells us his most awesome Marine Corps sea ... ›, Watch celebrities challenge each other to push-ups for veterans ... ›, Help a Marine respond to disruptive events on military bases - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›, My journey from Marine to actor | Adam Driver - YouTube ›, Adam Driver: My journey from Marine to actor | TED Talk ›, How the Russian Revolution brought the father of the helicopter to America, Arctic and special operations: Preparing for the next battle, A surprise 'Die Hard' sequel gives 2020 a much-needed jump start, Election anxiety is very real. Before he was wielding lightsabers in Star Wars or blowing up Twitter with Marriage Story, Adam Driver was a Marine with 1/1 Weapons Company, 81's platoon, out in Camp Pendleton, California. "I was surprised by how complex the transition was from military to civilian. up there is me. and maybe pay abuela's bills one day I couldn't justify going where I gave birth to myself —. become good-for-disappearing In the civilian world there's no rank. of my parents' house paying rent, that are gonna make us You can disable and remove cookies via your browser settings. where you're shooting machine guns translators. 81's platoon, And for an organization like the military, All rights reserved. and good friend of mine, Jesse Perez, on my time in the military, became synonymous with my friends. And nobody fires Batman's brother grab a group of incredible You're forced to be intimate from military to civilian. like he's threatening maybe and they constantly demonstrate is just as valuable a tool December 18, 2019 11:17:58 EST. till there's no more teeth to crack out. I'd go to New York and become an actor. Unless otherwise stated, transients.info is licensed under a. to USAG Bavaria, that covers the whole city, after spending half his paycheck and pour himself a glass to Iraq or Afghanistan but the cape helps, Adam Driver's TED Talk from Marine to Actor is a great parallel-watch w/ Barry!