Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Aloe on stage at Coachella. Since starting with underground rap recordings, he's had a … Egbert Nathaniel Dawkins III (born 1979 in Orange County, California), better known by the stage name Aloe Blacc, is an American soul singer, rapper and musician. It featured an "acoustic" version of "Wake Me Up" but was highlighted by the anthemic "The Man," a retro-contemporary fusion of gospel, soul, and pop that quoted Elton John's "The Man." Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. Recordings like his Latin cover of John Legend’s “Ordinary People” prove that – not only can this multi-instrumentalist produce, rap and sing – but he can flip it in Spanish, too. “Their songs are full of emotion that’s expressed in strong lyrics, and that had a big impact on me.”. He began his recording career as an MC back in 1995 when he joined up with hip-hop producer Exile to form the mainstay indie rap group Emanon. Aloe continued to expand his collaborative network and release new material throughout 2019 and 2020. “One of the most important factors in my transition from hip-hop to being a singer was listening to people like Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Kris Kristofferson, and Cat Stevens,” Blacc says. He has also collaborated with the Cradle Orchestra under the name Bee, and they released the project Open Your Mind in 2009. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. With his lyrics drawing influence from socially conscious artists like KRS-One, he put out his first hip-hop mixtape at age 17. Leave feedback. He co-starred on consistently uplifting tracks by the likes of Avicii (the posthumous hit "SOS"), Lost Frequencies ("Truth Never Lies"), David Guetta ("Never Be Alone"), Flight Facilities ("Better Than Ever"), Young Bombs ("Better Day"), and Mesto ("Don't Worry"). I want my music to be the light.”. With an amazingly broad set of influences ranging widely from the acoustic guitar stylings of folk artist Cat Stevens, to the soul-stirring sounds of the Negro Spirituals, Aloe prides himself on the spectrum of his musical roots. Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. These days, Aloe Blacc has evolved into a true Renaissance man – dubbed “the indie R. Kelly” by online retailer Turntable Lab. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Aloe released his debut solo album Shine Through on Stonethrow Records in 2006 and followed this up in 2010 with Good Things. Later developing a fierce admiration for such soul musicians as Donny Hathaway and Marvin Gaye, he also discovered an affinity for folk-rock singer/songwriters during his college years. “When I signed a major-label contract, I recognized the power of having a larger audience, and I promised myself that I’d use my voice for social change,” he says. Raised on salsa, merengue, and cumbia, Blacc fell in love with hip-hop as a kid and started writing rap songs when he was nine. A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. Raised on salsa, merengue, and cumbia, Blacc fell in love with hip-hop as a kid and started writing rap songs when he was nine. The single reached number eight in the U.S. and topped the U.K. chart.