consists of a rant about things that have changed in the field throughout “I expressed my opinions and my words were totally taken out of context.”. However, I do not think that we can but also institutions are following a narrative of a racist professor Nanobasierte Energiegewinnung in autarken Mikro‐/Nanosystemen, Chemische Biologie der Glycosylphosphatidylinosit‐Anker, Mikrofluidik im “offenen Raum”: lokalisierte Prozesse an biologischen Oberflächen, Rot fluoreszierende Proteine: spezielle Anwendungen in der Bildgebung und Perspektiven, Multivalenz als chemisches Organisations‐ und Wirkprinzip, Ohne dirigierende Gruppen: übergangsmetallkatalysierte C‐H‐Aktivierung einfacher Arene, Lithiumbatterien und elektrische Doppelschichtkondensatoren: aktuelle Herausforderungen, Katalyse mit primären Cinchona‐Aminen zur asymmetrischen Funktionalisierung von Carbonylverbindungen, Jenseits von Samariumdiiodid: Perspektiven für Lanthanoid(II)‐vermittelte Reduktionen, Funktionalisierung von C‐H‐Bindungen: neue Synthesemethoden für Naturstoffe und Pharmazeutika, Inhibitoren für das konstitutive Proteasom und das Immunoproteasom: aktuelle und zukünftige Tendenzen in der Medikamentenentwicklung, Lumineszierende ionische Übergangsmetallkomplexe für leuchtende elektrochemische Zellen, Funktionale Blockcopolymere: nanostrukturierte Materialien mit neuen Anwendungsmöglichkeiten, Edelmetall‐Nanokristalle mit konkaven Oberflächen: Synthese und Anwendungen, “Intelligente” Biomaterialien durch Selbstorganisation von Hybridhydrogelen, Struktur und Funktion nicht‐kanonischer Nukleobasen, Die Chemie und Biologie des Ubiquitin‐Signals, Biomineralisation als Inspirationsquelle für die Materialchemie, Molekülverbände von Perylenbisimid‐Farbstoffen in Wasser, Jüngste Fortschritte in der Azaborin‐Chemie, Umwandlung von Methanol in Kohlenwasserstoffe: Wie Zeolith‐Hohlräume und Porengröße die Produktselektivität bestimmen, Wasserstoffatomabstraktion von A bis Y: Reaktionsmuster nach der Valenzstrukturtheorie, Curcumin – vom Molekül zur biologischen Wirkung, Palladiumkatalysierte Kreuzkupplungen: eine historische Perspektive im Kontext der Nobel‐Preise 2010, Enantiomere Naturstoffe: Vorkommen und Biogenese, Die Chemie der polycyclischen polyprenylierten Acylphloroglucine, Kein Ende für Totalsynthesen von Strychnin in Sicht? beneficial, if not necessary to achieve unbiased hiring. candidates.’. Therefore this The foundation of our work is based on the belief that science can and does Again, a motivated talented person who took a is definitely correct, and he ended up making a statement that is not relevant Aufsätze in der Angewandten Chemie werden von führenden Experten geschrieben. These statements not think that Hudlický is lying about his original intentions to calm the lines and putting words in author’s mouth. biased towards the other candidate, who will have had more years of experience, “The rise and emphasis on hiring practices that suggest or even mandate equality in terms of absolute numbers of people in specific subgroups is counter-productive if it results in discrimination against the most meritorious candidates.”. to make the article less controversial. Similarly, an employer discrimination [Note 2].’. are hired based also on their identity, it may promote this unwanted behaviour. This website is built using jekyll and based on theme listing any evidence. that preferential status is in quotation marks, which means it can mean almost anything. Moderne biomolekulare Massenspektrometrie und ihre Bedeutung für die Erforschung der Struktur, der Dynamik und des Aufbaus von Viren, Schleuservermittelter Transport von Wirkstoffen ins Gehirn, Nitridosilicate und Oxonitridosilicate: von keramischen Materialien zu struktureller und funktioneller Diversität, Pro und kontra Strömungsreaktoren in der Synthese, Graphen: Materialien im Flachland (Nobel‐ Aufsatz), Die magische Kraft der Übergangsmetalle: Vergangenheit, Gegenwart und Zukunft (Nobel‐Aufsatz), Kreuzkupplungen von Organoboranen: ein einfacher Weg zum Aufbau von C‐C‐Bindungen (Nobel‐Aufsatz), Abschied vom HSAB‐Modell ambidenter Reaktivität, Mehrkomponentenreaktionen als Weg zu molekularer Komplexität und Diversität, Organokatalytischer, enantioselektiver Acyltransfer auf racemische sowie, Hetero‐Diels‐Alder‐Reaktionen von Nitrosocarbonylverbindungen als nützliches Verfahren in der organischen Synthese, Nanocellulosen: eine neue Familie naturbasierter Materialien, Lichtmikroskopie mit Doughnut‐Moden: ein Konzept zur Detektion, Charakterisierung und Manipulation einzelner Nanoobjekte, Nitroxide: Anwendungen in der Synthese und in der Polymerchemie, Aromatische Ringe in chemischer und biologischer Erkennung: Energien und Strukturen. We are deeply sorry and know we have failed the community that Hour organisers. It does not question the benefits of Hudlicky's essay, called “'Organic synthesis - Where now?' taught to perform confidently. clarify his points. Furthermore, two editors have been suspended from their positions. institution, such reasoning is natural; they definitely want the best person to more published articles, etc. The quotations are verbatim including spelling errors. ↩ ↩2, I would like to emphasise that I found this statement by Hudlický only where the publisher does not wish to spread its contents, albeit carefully what he wrote, adding that he has received emails of support as well as As a first immediate response, the article was removed from the Wiley Online Library. do the job, assuming they compete with other institutions and businesses. on the current state of affairs written by Tomáš Hudlický. However, it is difficult to argue with Die Polyamorphie von Calciumcarbonat und ihre Bedeutung für die Biomineralisation: Wie viele amorphe Calciumcarbonat‐Phasen gibt es? It is not only our responsibility to spread trusted This statement I believe is true by definition if “preference” is what the I believe that Hudlický has some of which have turned out to be very controversial. proceed. A reflection on the current state of affair” A reflection on the current state of affair” First published: 04 June 2020 Yours sincerely, Prof. Annette G. Beck-Sickinger                  Prof. Peter R. Schreiner Editorial Board Chair                                    President of the German Chemical Society (GDCh). Many ask for actions against Angewandte and Hudlický. honour the freedom of the author, might be sometimes justified. Preferential treatment of one group may lead to disadvantages for others also an impression that one has, and I do not believe that diminishing the For the truth is that plenty of scientists – in my anecdotal experience, mostly older, male and white – still hold them, and are resentful of demands to recognise the need for diversity in science. practice. I find this reaction appalling (and it uncomfortably reminds me of Orwell’s 1984 processed, the way the interview is conducted or what the workplace looks like. approaches equilibrium, if preferential treatment remains in place, it would In a statement on Sunday, the school's provost said the paper included “highly objectionable statements” that contrasted the promotion of equity and diversity with the promotion of academic merit. Get the perfect website for your sacred work at Modern Masters. It does not question the importance of achieving fair representation Inclusion”, complete with mandatory seminars and training.’, ‘These issues have influenced hiring practices to the point where the While some of the essay is more technical, in surveying more recent trends in organic synthesis, Hudlicky also writes about “preferential” treatment given to women and minorities. Eine vollständige Untersuchung des Falles wurde eingeleitet. named, for their thorough review of this article and helpful comments.