This in-depth examination of the life and career of clarinetist and bandleader Artie Shaw cuts between archival footage, location shots, and an interview with Shaw himself. Hide Spoilers. Synopsis. [4], It won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature,[5] tying with Down and Out in America. A recession in the mid-1980s affects Minnesota farm workers, unemployed urban workers and the newly homeless in Los Angeles and New York. Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". All rights reserved. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. This is a great piece of film-making which is crying out for a DVD release. We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. Almost 50 years later he knows every note he played. Buy Tickets. We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future. Has There Ever Been a Tie for an Oscar? Just confirm how you got your ticket. Almost 50 years later he knows every note he played. As a clarinetist, Shaw's inventiveness was undeniably the stuff of genius. New World Documentaries. and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango. Sort by: Filter by Rating: 9 /10. The pity with Artie Shaw is that he always wanted to be an intellectual, as he puts it in THE TROUBLE WITH Cinderella: while playing with his band in a crowded dancing auditorium, with dancers disturbing him to the point of almost swallowing his instrument, one of them fell into the orchestra pit and Artie Shaw quipped: "there goes another Booth, John Wilkes Booth! Almost 50 years later he knows every note he played. Artie Shaw's legacy, his music, is the prime focus of this affectionate documentary. It's an impressive legacy by one of the true kings of Swing - a string of dynamic recordings that could not have come about without a strong personality at the helm. Please enter your email address and we will email you a new password. In one unforgettable segment in this film, Artie puts stylus to vinyl and we watch him as he listens to his own 1937 recording of "The Blues", a live recording with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra which saw Artie faultlessly ad lib his way through a piece he hadn't had the opportunity to rehearse. External Reviews Documentary cataloging the life and music of the band leader and clarinetist, Artie Shaw. The various dramas, romantic and otherwise, in his life are mentioned in this film but not dwelt upon. You're almost there! The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket. Hôtel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie, I Am a Promise: The Children of Stanton Elementary School, Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Artie_Shaw:_Time_Is_All_You%27ve_Got&oldid=959874051, Best Documentary Feature Academy Award winners, Documentary films about jazz music and musicians, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox film with unknown empty parameters, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 31 May 2020, at 01:00. With Artie no longer with us, I was hoping for a quick resolution. 1985 Directed by Brigitte Berman. Forgot your password? Moviefone And Where Did They Get Nineteen Kids? I must admit my surprise at being outdone by my fellow Aussie Peter Blight on the first review of this film having recorded it on Pay TV two years ago. In one unforgettable segment in this film, Artie puts stylus to vinyl and we watch him as he listens to his own 1937 recording of "The Blues", a live recording with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra which saw Artie faultlessly ad lib his way through a piece he hadn't had the opportunity to rehearse. Sincerely, Rick Horne, According to my memory, Artie Shaw was pleased to give Ms. Berman a break when accepting to build with her a two-hours rendition of his long life but regretfully short carrier (he hanged up his clarinet in 1954, and I missed his New Year appearance at the Toronto Colonial Tavern). This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. Artie Shaw: Time Is All You've Got is a 1985 Canadian documentary film about clarinetist Artie Shaw.   |  Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, 5 Groundbreaking Indigenous Horror Movies to Watch Right Now. Artie Shaw: Time Is All You've Got adalah sebuah film dokumenter tahun 1986 tentang pemain klarinet Artie Shaw.Film tersebut ditulis, disutradarai dan dinarasikan oleh Brigitte Berman.