"All I wanted him to do was have fun. Remember to finish fast. He's not a wispy guy, either; he's a solidly built 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds. I'm like, 'OK, we're on to something here. I'm like, 'OK, we're on to something here. ", ESPN's Rich Cimini examines the Jets' draft options. He also spent a lot of time with two Pro Football Hall of Famers -- Michael Irvin, his dad's roommate at the University of Miami, and legendary Lions running back Barry Sanders. Every once in a while, Brett will tell him something: Drop your hips. You have come to the ESPN Africa edition, for other ESPN editions, click above. • Barnwell's grades » | Top 100 FAs » • Tracker: Latest signings and news » A couple of scouts reportedly clocked him under 4.2, which is just insanely fast. Spin: With back-to-back absences at practice to begin the week, Perriman has made no tangible progress through the NFL's concussion protocol since suffering the head injury in Sunday's loss to the Bills. Perriman (concussion) won't take part in Thursday's practice, Andy Vasquez of The Bergen Record reports. ", ESPN's Rich Cimini examines the Jets' draft options. This will be his fifth team in six years, not the way he imagined his career when he was drafted No. The coach will come out of him. We grab on to it and run with it.". Breshad Perriman played the best game of his NFL career on Dec. 15, 2019, against the Detroit Lions, his father's old team. Perriman missed his rookie season because of a knee injury and never found a groove in the 2016 and 2017 seasons. '", Jets' Breshad Perriman, inspired by ailing dad, predicts breakout year. His father, former NFL wide receiver Brett Perriman, sobbed in front of the TV. "That was just beautiful," Laundria said in a phone interview. As parents, it was hard for Laundria and Brett to watch their son battle the adversity, but they never lost faith. "It's been hard to get him to remember the team names," she said. Breshad Perriman played the best game of his NFL career on Dec. 15, 2019, against the Detroit Lions, his father's old team. Perriman, who should have a significant role in the Jets' offense, expects a breakout season. Yes, I'm talking about Breshad Perriman. Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images. The Ravens cut him before the 2018 season. After a nondescript three months, Perriman was thrust into a larger role because of injuries at the position. Breshad has experienced the ugly side of the game, both with his bumpy personal journey and his father's post-career struggles. Not surprisingly, Perriman starred in track as a youth, but he eventually gravitated toward football, the family business. 2020 Free Agency | Jets 2020 Free Agency | Jets • Tracker: Latest signings and news » We wait for those moments. "That was just a tiny glimpse," said Perriman, who signed a one-year, $6.5 million contract with New York. Sign in above. On that December day, though, Brett knew exactly what was happening. What you need to know about the New York Jets: • Jets' free-agent signings » ESPN Fantasy Projection: Perriman is in and Robby Anderson is out as the top perimeter target in the Jets' offense. Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer Breshad Perriman played the best game of his NFL career on Dec. 15, 2019, against the Detroit Lions, his father's old team. GM Joe Douglas (via 98.7 FM's The Michael Kay Show) updates free agency. Latest on New York Jets wide receiver Breshad Perriman including biography, career, awards and more on ESPN "All I wanted him to do was have fun. I just wanted to encourage him to have fun.". "Obviously, his career trajectory was different than those first-rounders, but you've seen [his potential] in the back half of the season two years ago with Cleveland and then at the end of this year," Douglas said. Perriman might be faster than Anderson, which would make him one of the fastest in Jets history. Unless Perriman gets back on the field in some capacity at Friday's practice, he'll likely be sidelined for this weekend's matchup with the Chiefs. A 2015 first-round pick, Perriman struggled in Baltimore before getting his career back on track in Cleveland and Tampa Bay over the past two seasons. Every once in a while, Brett will tell him something: Drop your hips. What you need to know about the New York Jets:• Jets' free-agent signings » With back-to-back absences at practice to begin the week, Perriman has made no tangible progress through the NFL's concussion protocol since suffering the head injury in Sunday's loss to the Bills. Perriman's NFL resume includes more struggles than success, which makes him a risky investment, but he's well-positioned for an every-down role with New York. Perriman, who should have a significant role in the Jets' offense, expects a breakout season. In five games, he had 25 receptions for 506 yards and five touchdowns -- the only player in the past 15 seasons to have 500 yards, five touchdowns and 20 yards per catch in his team's final five games. "They talk before every game," Laundria said. His son, whose short NFL career had already been marked by disappointment, erupted for five catches for 113 yards and three touchdowns in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 38-17 victory. He played college football at UCF, and was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. It won't be easy to top that -- or his impressive stretch drive last season -- but Breshad Perriman will try to do so this fall as a new member of the New York Jets. A 2015 first-round pick, Perriman struggled in Baltimore before getting his career back on track in Cleveland and Tampa Bay over the past two seasons. "I'm pretty sure you're already asking to speak to the manager as you read the title … but hear me out," Russell Street Report's Jermaine Lockett wrote.