{ bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '13531848' }}, There's kind of a competition out there, you might have noticed, of who can be the first to say the Arab Spring is going to fail. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '347852', size: [320, 50] }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '346531', size: [300, 250] }}, Something bad and familiar is better than something bad and unknown. bids: [{ bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb779d000f', pos: 'met_btmslot_300x250' }}, always a classy move. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '540599232', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '540599233', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, "See that, man!" Of information which was gathered from a source not to be overtly exposed. Come on you liberals, don't give me the morbid pleasure of saying, 'I told you so' again. Try to offer a positive spin on the situation that will make your friend feel better. “When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles”, p.41, ReadHowYouWant.com, Ursula K. Le Guin, Susan Wood (1980). used to say to someone that one was right about something especially when that person disagreed, Post the Definition of I told you (so) to Facebook, Share the Definition of I told you (so) on Twitter. 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'. I can't stand people who say 'I told you so.' I told you (so) definition is - —used to say to someone that one was right about something especially when that person disagreed. I warned you in advance, especially of a bad outcome. “The Chronicles of Prydain”, p.155, Macmillan, There is a mistake in the text of this quote. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'MacMillanThes_HDX' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '347853', size: [160, 600] }}, . bids: [{ bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb779d000f', pos: 'met_topslot_728x90' }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '540599165', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'met_btmslot' }}, Synonyms for 'I told you (so)': actually, certainly, clearly, simply, literally, evidently, honestly, surely, virtually, altogether, after all, all I told you so. initAdSlotRefresher(); Accessed 30 Oct. 2020. Used as a farewell, when the next time the speaker and interlocutor will meet is not known. Definition of I told you (so) —used to say to someone that one was right about something especially when that person disagreed "You were right after all." { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '347868', size: [320, 100] }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '346531', size: [300, 250] }}, “The Language of the Night: Essays on Fantasy and Science Fiction”, p.87, Ultramarine Publishing, Ilona Andrews (2009). … 'cap': true Rate it: (0.00 / 0 votes) a little bird told me: Of information which was gathered from a source not to be overtly exposed. {code: 'ad_topslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'met_topslot', adUnitPath: '/4581210/met_topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 50], [320, 50], [320, 100]] } }, googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); name: "identityLink", if(refreshConfig.enabled == true) { bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '201356', zoneId: '990412', position:'btf' }}, params: { “I told you so” is a negative and counterproductive way of saying, “I’m right and you’re wrong,” that does neither party any good. 'increment': 0.05, 'cap': true { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '13531918' }}, 'cap': true better the devil you know than the one you don't, better the devil you know than the one you don't know. I told you so. congratulations! "I told you so" is a set expression in English that means "I was right, and you were wrong." dfpSlots['btmslot'] = googletag.defineSlot('/4581210/met_btmslot', [[300, 250], 'fluid'], 'ad_btmslot').defineSizeMapping(mapping_btmslot).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'btm').setTargeting('hp', 'center').addService(googletag.pubads()); syncDelay: 3000 What’s even worse is when that person adds "I hate to say it, but..." before saying, “I told you so.”  Let’s be honest, this all-knowing corrector really doesn’t hate anything about saying it. Phrase. I don't know. Used to remind someone that they were already warned by the speaker/writer that a certain event would happen. { bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '201356', zoneId: '990416', position:'atf' }}, some days you get the bear, other days the bear gets you. Good friends and acquaintances shouldn't be taken for granted. { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '13531967' }}, You dont know anything. I told you it wouldn’t work. Each person should make their own decisions. Alternative form of better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. "I promise my corpse won't interrupt your 'I told you so' speech. }, If you don’t believe me, then keep at it. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'MacMillanThes_Billboard' }}, pbjsCfg.consentManagement = { When you start the conversation in this way, it sounds like you don't want to say these things, but you are doing it because you have to. I am not going to say I told you so, but I did. priceGranularity: customGranularity, var pbjs = pbjs || {}; Try the following approaches for example: In the end, saying, “I told you so,” makes you look like a jerk. First of all, when we've gotten something wrong, we certainly don't want to be reminded of it. if(window.__tcfapi) googletag.pubads().setTargeting("sfr", "met_dict_thesaurus"); {code: 'ad_topslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'met_topslot', adUnitPath: '/4581210/met_topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 50], [320, 50]] } }, var curResolution = getResolution(); type: "html5", There’s something amazing about unbelief – it is able to fulfill its own expectations. © Getty Images/bgblue/DigitalVision Vectors, Ways of emphasizing that something is true or exact, (as) much as someone loves​/​likes​/​dislikes etc, in all probability​/​likelihood​/​honesty​/​seriousness etc, Ways of emphasizing that something is not true or likely, if someone thinks something, they have another think coming, not by any​/​by no stretch of the imagination. },{ the fucking you get isn't worth the fucking you get, (vulgar) The sexual satisfactions that one receives from a spouse or romantic partner are not sufficient to compensate for the significant periods of bad faith and unpleasant treatment which such relationships routinely involve.1971, Allen Churchill, The Literary Decade, ISBN 9780135375228:Years later she expressed her disillusionment with sex by saying, "The fucking you get isn't worth the fucking you get. 'min': 31, { bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '201358', zoneId: '990440', position:'btf' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '347868', size: [320, 50] }}, Asked to find out whether an ill or wounded person is able to walk or needs to sit down or lie down. “Lord Perfect”, p.127, Penguin. It is advantageous not to rely solely on being nice. var mapping_topslot = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([725, 0], [[728, 90]]).addSize([0, 550], [[300, 50], [320, 50], [320, 100]]).addSize([0, 0], [[300, 50], [320, 50]]).build(); And, when he/she is right, the mature person need not experience the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so.". }], Give me an opportunity to fail," Saiman said. Reply All...And Other Ways to Tank Your Career. iasLog("criterion : met_pt = entry"); "2008, Joseph Heywood, Blue Wolf In Green Fire, ISBN 9781599213590, p. 63:"I can't believe a little pussy got me into dis mess." bids: [{ bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb779d000f', pos: 'met_topslot_728x90' }}, I want to take back at least half the “I love you”s, because it feels safer that way. bids: [{ bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb79c60011', pos: 'met_topslot_mobile_flex' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'met_topslot' }}, Quick & Dirty Tips™ and related trademarks appearing on this website are the property of Mignon Fogarty, Inc. and Macmillan Holdings, LLC. It’s kinder and much more effective for teaching the lesson you wanted to communicate in the first place. ", you never know what you've got till it's gone. } {code: 'ad_leftslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'met_leftslot', adUnitPath: '/4581210/met_leftslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[160, 600]] } }, Why? So don’t say it! All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'met_topslot' }}]}, googletag.pubads().setTargeting("met_pc", "dictionary"); For success, and especially to obtain employment, one's knowledge and skills are less useful and less important than one's network of personal contacts.1951, G. P. Bush and L. H. Hattery, "Federal Recruitment of Junior Engineers," Science, vol. That statement, whether or not it uses the Stock Phrase "I Warned You" or "I Told You So" is this trope, provided the warning took place. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '347866', size: [300, 250] }}, When you have no more friends and no one is there to lift you up in a time of need, don’t come crying to me. 'min': 8.50, If you disturb it it will lead to destruction of whole community. 1918, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Land That Time Forgot Chapter IV. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'met_btmslot' }}]}, Of all the horrid, hideous notes of woe, Sadder than owl-songs or the midnight blast; Is that portentous phrase, "I told you so. don't zig when you should zag, once you find true love. quotations . name: "pubCommonId", var node = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; No one is going to respond with “You know what? var googletag = googletag || {}; { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'met_leftslot' }}, I knew you could do it!" expires: 60 { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'MacMillanThes_SR' }}, },{ pbjs.que = pbjs.que || []; { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'met_topslot' }}]}]; dfpSlots['rightslot'] = googletag.defineSlot('/4581210/met_rightslot', [[300, 250]], 'ad_rightslot').defineSizeMapping(mapping_rightslot).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'mid').setTargeting('hp', 'right').addService(googletag.pubads()); type: "html5", googletag.pubads().disableInitialLoad(); teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. addPrebidAdUnits(pbAdUnits); Every day we present the best quotes! Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). Instead of saying, “I told you so,” look to your sensibility and maturity for guidance. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. I told you! { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '540599207', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, bids: [{ bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb79c60011', pos: 'met_btmslot_mobile_flex' }}, There is a hint of despair in the cry of 'I told you so,' an element of disappointment in the apparent satisfaction when idols turn out to have clay feet.