It was but a snicker in a pretty solid career. YES FRANKIE STILL ALIVE. Tracy Smothers – The Wild-Eyed Southern Boy Who Wrestled Bears! But those names are probably foreign word scrambles if you started watching wrestling during the Monday Night Wars. Let me out!’. And while many may spotlight the fact he never won the Intercontinental title during his 8-year WWF run, it would have been hard to do when you have guys like Randy Savage (414 days), Honky Tonk Man (454 days), Rick Rude (148), Ultimate Warrior (216), Mr. And while many point at that moment as one of the negative reasons for his Hall of Fame induction, High Energy only lasted a few months total (Owen got injured). And Koko B. Ware left a mark. For Koko B. Ware, Frankie was much more than a key ingredient that helped him stand out amongst the many greats of his time. Your email address will not be published. With no insurance KoKo has to foot the bill 100 percent. We need you.’, When I went to New York, I met with Vince, and at the end of the conversation, I was walking away, getting ready to leave, and out of the blue, he said, ‘Is there anything else that you would like to add to your gimmick?’, I said, ‘Oh yeah…’, reached in my pocket, ‘I would love to have… THIS!'”. |…, Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog at SummerSlam 1992 – The True…, Harley Race – Tales of His Tenacity and Strength | The…, Ludvig Borga – The Surreal, Shocking Life of Tony Halme |…, 5 Wrestling Animals and Their Chilling Stories Outside of the Ring, George Steele on Becoming The Animal and His ‘Fetish’ for Turnbuckles. It was hard, very hard. Every year they start with a main event. Learn more, Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Jobbing out to Marc Mero and Val Venis in 1998 does not a Hall of Fame career make. What a terribly sad way for Frankie to go out. God bless her. I was at church, and somebody came running up to me and said, ‘Koko, you gotta go home, your house is on fire…’. Koko is remembered for his work in Tennessee, USWA and WWF. We got along great. He gave his all every night inside that ring. KoKo entertained us for many many years as one of the greatest legends in wrestling. By using this site, you agree to the legal terms set out in our Disclaimer, Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, and Disclosure. Learn how your comment data is processed. The men and women who put smiles on children’s faces, inspired children of all shapes, sizes and colours to become pro wrestlers. The main reasoning of his induction was his masterful work in the NWA and most of his WCW run. KoKo needs a Knee replacement desperately. What wasn’t unforgettable was his rivalry with Ric Flair that rocked Mid-Atlantic and WCW. They all deserved to be remembered by future generations if they left a mark. Ricky Steamboat‘s WWF career gave us that match, but the rest of it was pretty forgettable. “It started out as my late wife’s idea. This story was one of many included in our long-form piece, 5 Wrestling Animals and Their Chilling Stories Outside of the Ring. Learn more. Frankie perished in the fire. And in between there are matches featuring mid-carders and there are matches featuring low carders. Greg Godwin is organizing this fundraiser on behalf of J W ware. Both of those men are far worse inductions than Koko B. Ware. Bobby Heenan – The Gold Standard in Wrestling, Triple H and Shawn Michaels – A Feud Inspired By Real-Life Incidents, Triple H | 4 Injuries That Came Close to Ending His Career (and Life), Kamala on His Disgustingly Low Pay and Poor Treatment in WWE, Marty Jannetty – His Turbulent Life After The Rockers. People need to realize that the WWE Hall of Fame is more akin to the Hollywood Walk of Fame than the Pro Football Hall of Fame. As goofy as he looked, he was not a WWF homegrown talent. What I give him credit for is that he was a great jobber. But both men were low midcarders (or high low carders, depending who you ask) who were primarily enhancement talent (“jobbers”) whose main claim to fame was lasting so long and winning so little. But those names are probably foreign word scrambles if you started watching wrestling during the Monday Night Wars. They would become 3x AWA Southern Tag Team Champions. He won his third from “Nature Boy” Buddy Landell (unmasking as Koko Ware during the reign). Koko B. Ware still had residue from the 80’s and in the 90’s, everything about the 80’s was looked at with veritable disdain. Shortly after his run with USWA, he retired in 1995. Read on to learn the stories of many of the true heroes of wrestling, the wrestling animals that graced our television screens over the years. He began wrestling in 1978 as Koko Ware, working around in the southern territories, principally consisted of Jerry Jarrett’s Continental Wrestling Association in Memphis and in NWA Mid-America. And do you seriously think Dory Funk Jr. is in it for his Hoss Funk gimmick, or that Terry Funk is in it for Chainsaw Charlie? He was his loved pet. Because it wasn’t just the stars that built the sport, or the industry, or the WWF, or pro wrestling itself. In the days of WWF’s Rock N’ Wrestling, people forget that what now looks alarmingly cheesy was actually incredibly popular. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. She really helped me get the idea of the ‘Birdman.’ As a matter of fact, I was the ‘Birdman’ before I got the bird. I lost him in a house fire [in 2001]. As Sweet Brown Sugar he won the title from his former partner, Bobby Eaton, and then won it back as the masked Stagger Lee. By 1981, the CWA won the wars in Memphis and acquired NWA Mid-America, then merged with Fritz Von Erich’s WCCW in 1989 to become the United States Wrestling Association (USWA). Ware captured the USWA Unified World Heavyweight title twice (it had since been merged with the AWA and WCCW World Championship), once from Memphis icon Jerry “The King” Lawler. ‘I couldn’t save your child…’, He had heard a voice inside the burning house. To this day, his spirit is still with me. But the membership of the WWE Hall of Fame shows that is quite clearly not the case. Ware and his family arrived to find the house burnt to the ground. And while perhaps his seven reigns as AWA Southern Tag Team Championships may not seem important, these were titles that were held by some of the top tag teams of the day – The Fabulous Freebirds, The Rock N’ Roll Express, The Midnight Express, and The Fabulous Ones amongst others – and he was winning them amidst that mix.