You're never going to believe this, but here's a story about Michael Jordan being ultra-competitive. And I didn't want Coach Smith to think I was looking at the score. Privacy Policy. It's no longer just Western Conference playing against the Eastern Conference. With the NBA still on hiatus due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, old (seemingly endless) debates are bubbling back up among NBA fans and media pundits alike. Who averaged more points in playoffs? This All-Star Game, that was his platform. Who led the season more times? Leaky Black is finally healthy and ready to have a monstrous impact on the 2020-21 Tar Heels: "I've never been this confident in my life.". During UNC football players weekly press conference, Jordan Tucker, Dyami Brown, Day Day Hollins and Emery Simmons opened up about confidence in each other and Virginia rivalry. In 1981, MJ joined the University of North Carolina, and represented the Tar Heels. We had the ball out of bounds on the sideline. Talking to ThePostGame on behalf of NBA All-Star voting, which ends today at 11:59 p.m. Worthy knew he was the best player on the team until a young Michael Jordan arrived. During an interview with Dan Patrick, Williams discussed knowing they were going to win, but there was a moment he thought otherwise when he saw the player's faces. It was tough to see one of my favorite players, Dr. J, playing with the Celtics.TPG: Was Michael Jordan friendly during those games or did he take it seriously?WORTHY: Michael doesn't take anything lightly. I think there was a football game, kind of got to know the campus, that type of thing.TPG: When Michael Jordan shows up, freshman year [at UNC], what were your first impressions of him before the season even started?WORTHY: I knew Michael would be an All-Star right away. He also entered the NBA two years before the Bulls legend did. Going up against Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and the Boston crew, then you had guys like Isiah Thomas and the "Bad Boys," and you had Philadelphia with Moses Malone and Dr. J., all those guys. Kawhi Leonard wants the Clippers to get a new point guard. The part of this answer that makes it so quintessentially Worthy is that he says Jordan “chose” him, as if his decision to play for the Tar Heels was solely dependent on Worthy’s presence on the team. As an analyst for Spectrum SportsNet, Worthy also has had up close and personal access to James over the last two seasons. The flame inside him that pushed MJ to accomplish greatness never diminished as he rose through the ranks to cement his legacy. I was very appreciative then. After defeating NC State in Chapel Hill, North Carolina drops one spot on the AP poll to No. Rumor: Celtics’ Gordon Hayward eyeing ‘Al Horford plan’ this offseason, Video: Seahawks’ Russell Wilson hits Tyler Lockett on majestic long-ball TD in last minute of half vs. Cardinals, Video: Cardinals’ Budda Baker INT and 90-yard return cause scoreboard swing vs. Seahawks, Video: Seahawks’ Carlos Hyde stays in bounds on 24-yard TD run vs Cardinals, VIDEO: 49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo TD pass to Brandon Aiyuk on 3rd and goal pads lead vs Rams, VIDEO: 49ers TE Jimmy Garoppolo hits George Kittle for 44-yard TD on 4th down vs. Rams. It could be a game of backgammon or it could be the NBA Finals, they're treated the same. I knew he had the talent. We’ve never seen a physical physique like LeBron James. And he kept going, he said, guys, we'll run lineup to get it in, I don't think they'll be pressing, I think they'll get in the zone. Land of Basketball is a fan website, for official NBA information visit National Basketball Association's website. / Links. If I had to make my choice, I’m going with MJ because I played with him. Of course, Worthy was drafted No. When he joined the team, The Jumpman was just an addition to a talented team of college players. I’m going to have to go with my boy, cuz he chose me.”. And if you look at the tape, we had great rebound position and all of a sudden somebody told Freddie Brown to throw the ball to Jake. For ten years, Roy Williams was an assistant coach for Dean Smith; those ten years are more than a reflection of who Williams is today. And while Worthy and Jordan have maintained a friendship of more than 35 years, MJ did not let that affect them on the court -- even during All-Star Weekends. Myles Wolfolk enrolls at Bowie State. From making heads turn as a high-schooler to becoming the NBA’s greatest player ever, MJ wanted to do it all. You can follow this author on Twitter at @sabreenajm. It was during the National Championship in 1982 when Mike became Michael but what was the huddle like? For more Lakers talk, subscribe to the Silver Screen and Roll podcast feed on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Google Podcasts. made an immediate impact as a college freshman too. Worthy played with Jordan at North Carolina and then against him for several years while with the Lakers. “You know, one of the rare moments was that he was able to start. Then the idea that once the starters are chosen, the two leading vote getters -- the captains -- get to choose from the remaining starters and they get to choose from both conferences. James Worthy was senior to Michael Jordan in college. TPG: Did you get to play any basketball with him that weekend?WORTHY: No. It was an honor.TPG: You played in seven straight All-Star Games. James Ager Worthy (born February 27, 1961) is an American former professional basketball player who is a commentator, television host, and analyst. Moreover, Worthy spoke about how a young Michael Jordan gathered tremendous success in his first year at UNC. In 2017, the Lakers legend explained how Michael Jordan made a startling impression on the college team as soon as his entry in 1981. And if they happen to get the rebound, we'll foul them and there's no way in the world they're going to try a foul shot in this situation, so we'll get another chance. I knew he was still learning the theory and the science of the game, so he was somewhat of a late bloomer. That was the beginning of a great career, a great friendship. He also entered the NBA two years before the Bulls legend did. One signing the Golden State Warriors need to make in free agency, White Sox re-hire Tony La Russa as next manager, Kobe Bryant’s next-gen form unveiled in NBA 2K21, Chiefs’ Chris Jones trolls winless Jets with ‘very good football team’ comments, Mike Tyson return press conference vs. Roy Jones Jr.: How to watch, Patriots’ Julian Edelman undergoes knee surgery, expected to miss Week 8 vs Bills, Updating and Ranking The 50 Greatest NBA Players of all time, Paul Pierce name-drops an All-Star return in trade for Warriors’ No. The 2020-21 college basketball season starts exactly one month from now, with the Tar Heels scheduled to play College of Charleston. But if we don't get the lob, which I don't think we will, we'll go weak side, and if we get the shot, we'll take the shot. 1 overall by the Lakers and played the entirety of his 12-year career with the team, so Big Game James also has a connection to The King, who currently suits up for the Purple and Gold. James Ager Worthy (* 27.Februar 1961 in Gastonia, North Carolina) ist ein ehemaliger US-amerikanischer Basketballspieler, der von 1982 bis 1994 in der NBA für die Los Angeles Lakers aktiv war.. Der 2,06 Meter große Worthy spielte auf der Position des Small Forwards und zählte neben Kareem Abdul-Jabbar und Magic Johnson zu den wichtigsten Spielern der sogenannten „Showtime … The Maryland native looks to help the defending CIAA Champions in their quest for back-to-back trophies. 1 overall pick in the 1982 NBA Draft. Michael’s not nice. Worthy joined North Carolina in 1979 and began starting games as a freshman.