Required fields are marked *. Want to see your GM ride featured on GM Authority? NASCAR driver Kyle Larson fired after sponsors drop him over slur. Glad you’re in a Chevy, again. Subscribe to GM Authority for more NASCAR news, motorsports news and around-the-clock GM news coverage. It is just an awful thing to say. Soon after, sponsors dropped the driver and he was fired by Chip Ganassi Racing. FILE - In this July 27, 2019, file photo, Kyle Larson climbs into his car for a practice session for the NASCAR Cup Series auto race in Long Pond, Pa. Kyle Larson was fired Tuesday, April 14, 2020, by Chip Ganassi Racing, a day after nearly every one of his sponsors dropped the star driver for using a racial slur during a live stream of a virtual race. Larson … Eye on the Y: Getting to know Zach Wilson a little bit more. Making the absolute most of this platform and the opportunity in front of me is my focus. “After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson,” the team said in a statement. pic.twitter.com/MFjFQlTpsi, — Kyle Larson (@KyleLarsonRacin) October 28, 2020. “As we continued to evaluate the situation with all the relevant parties, it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take.”. “As we said before, the comments that Kyle made were both offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization. I wasn't raised that way. “Kyle has done important work over the past six months, and Hendrick Motorsports is going to support those continued efforts,” team owner Rick Hendrick said in a prepared statement. Kyle Larson was fired Tuesday by Chip Ganassi Racing, a day after nearly every one of his sponsors dropped the star driver for using a racial slur during a live stream of a virtual race. For around-the-clock GM news coverage. We apologize, but this video has failed to load. "After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson," Ganassi said. Thank you @TeamHendrick look forward to great things on and off the track! Chevrolet suspended its relationship with Larson, and all but one commercial partner denounced Larson's comment and indicated they were walking away. 5 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE from the 2021 season onward. Unfortunately, this is how we pay the bills and our authors. Hendrick Motorsports announced, Wednesday, that Larson will take over the No. The NASCAR suspension was indefinite. ", He also reached out to many sponsors and friends to apologize. NASCAR driver Kyle Larson has been suspended indefinitely after he called another driver the N-word during a virtual racing event.. Larson, 27, was competing in an iRacing event on Sunday night that was streaming live on Twitch when he used the racial slur after … Both Larson and Team Owner Rick Hendrick released statements. NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Larson prepares to practice for the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway. Your email address will not be published. In a statement, NASCAR said Larson “fulfilled the requirements set by NASCAR, and has taken several voluntary measures, to better educate himself so that he can use his platform to help bridge the divide in our country.”. Welcome back, Kyle. As we continued to evaluate the situation with all the relevant parties, it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take.". “Kyle is unquestionably one of the most talented race car drivers in the world,” team owner Rick Hendrick said. Chip Ganassi Racing has fired Kyle Larson after the driver was caught using a racial slur Sunday night while on the iRacing platform. Your email address will not be published. Larson, whose grandparents spent time in an interment camp in California during World War II, climbed from short-track racing into NASCAR through its “Drive for Diversity” program. An Election Day role for National Guard? 5 for 2021), vacated by Alex Bowman, in the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season. Kyle Larson has signed with Hendrick Motorsports to drive the No. NASCAR’s Kyle Larson Signs With Team Hendrick Motorsports. 88 in the Hendrick Motorsports lineup after Alex Bowman made the move to the No. "I made a mistake, said the word that should never, ever be said," Larson said. Larson appeared to lose communication on his headset with his spotter. Maybe too much? Related: NASCAR driver Kyle Larson drops N-word (Video) Larson was suspended by his team and NASCAR within a day. Larson had been prepping to test free agency for the first time in his short career and Ganassi was expected to find himself in a bidding war to keep the sprint car driver he had gambled on and developed into one of NASCAR's future stars. Three Points: RSL might already see the writing on the wall, questionable yellow cards, and Herrera will be missed, Letter: We bridge players thank The Tribune. Hendrick has yet to lock down a sponsor for Larson and the No. We welcome your submissions. He is the only driver of Japanese descent to win a major NASCAR race. He also might have been a long-shot candidate to replace seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson at Hendrick Motorsports. “After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson,” the team said in a statement. The 27-year-old Larson, in his seventh Cup season with Ganassi and considered the top free agent in NASCAR just three days ago, is now out of a job in what could ultimately be an eight-figure blunder. It was the original number campaigned by Hendrick when he founded the team in 1984 and taken 38 wins in total, including many in the hands of famous drivers such as Jeff Bodine, Terry Labonte, Mark Martin and Ricky Rudd. "As we said before, the comments that Kyle made were both offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization. But everything fell apart as primary sponsors McDonalds and Credit One Bank pulled their funding. Larson, meanwhile, said he wants to continue to improve and learn from his past mistakes whilst also delivering on the kind of performances that will be expected from him at Hendrick. Read more about cookies here. “He has championship-level ability and will be a significant addition to our on-track program.” Unauthorized distribution, transmission or republication strictly prohibited. The No. Larson also late last year added a midget car to his team and drove it to seven wins in eight races to close 2019, then opened 2020 with a victory at the prestigious Chili Bowl in his 13th try. Matt Kenseth came out of retirement to fill the No. Kyle Larson, who was suspended from NASCAR in April, has signed with Hendrick Motorsports to drive the No. We'll send you one email per day with the latest GM updates. Sam loves to write and has a passion for auto racing, karting and performance driving of all types. He said the driver called him personally to "express his regret about what transpired.". It’s the original,” Hendrick said. Larson could be heard using the slur while he was apparently testing his microphone for the competition. To bring the car back to the racetrack is meaningful for my family and for many of our team members and fans.”. 42 Chevrolet so long as Larson was in the car, the situation became untenable for Ganassi. Months after his suspension for dropping the n-word, NASCAR driver Kyle Larson has finally signed a new contract, allowing him to resume his career on the Hendrick Motorsports team. Maybe, but limited. During a check of his microphone, he asked his spotter, "You can't hear me?" Chevrolet also suspended the 28-year old indefinitely over the controversy and released a statement saying it does “not tolerate,” such behaviour from its drivers. "We know he is an awesome young man that made a mistake and we are going to stand behind him 100% and help any way we can," Powell said. “My goal is to win races, be a great teammate, continue my personal efforts to grow, and hold myself to that high standard personally and professionally. sltrib.com © 1996-2020 The Salt Lake Tribune. 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4. Kyle Larson dropped by Ganassi Racing team over racial slur. Chip Ganassi Racing had said on Monday it was immediately suspending Larson without pay over the incident, which occurred during Sunday’s virtual race. The Asian-American, who rose through the ranks through NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity program, completed sensitivity training at NASCAR’s direction and was reinstated by the sporting body earlier this month. Kyle Larson was dropped by his team Chip Ganassi Racing on Tuesday, after the NASCAR driver used a racial slur during a livestream broadcast of an iRacing esports event. © 2020 Canoe.com, a division of Postmedia Network Inc. All rights reserved. I know what’s expected of me and what I expect of myself, on and off the track.”. Larson, a six-time winner on the NASCAR Cup Series, issued an apology saying there was “no excuse” for his actions, but it was not enough to save his job. Nothing but best wishes for your ride next year. 5 car has a rich history at Hendrick Motorsports. The No. Larson said the N-word over his in-game communication, which was broadcast live for drivers and viewers to hear. NASCAR.com reported that Larson has signed a multi-year contract with Hendrick … All rights reserved. We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. The slur was directed at his spotter, who is white. 5 Camaro ZL1 1LE for 2021. tap here to see other videos from our team. Brent Powell, president of Plan B Sales and Marketing, was the only sponsor to remain behind Larson. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. In a statement, NASCAR said Larson “fulfilled the requirements set by NASCAR, and has taken several voluntary measures, to better educate himself, 2021 Chevy Trax Sport Edition Adds Stylish Black Accents, Baojun E300 Plus Reviewed And Tested In Shanghai: Video, Hennessey Cadillac CTS-V Takes On Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE: Video, How Chevrolet Motorsports Uses 3D Printed Parts To Win Races, C3 Corvette Transformed Into A Motorsports Inspired Track Day Weapon: Video.