Because most of the lasagna components are already cooked, they won’t have a ton of moisture to release as the lasagna bakes. © 2020 Tribune Content Agency. It takes me about an hour to eat a piece because I savor every bite — eyes closed, refusing to talk to anyone so I can really concentrate on how good every fork-full tastes. Vegetarians stopping by for Thanksgiving dinner? Elevate your every day meals with artisanal cut pasta. But even if you’re the type of person who doesn’t like their food touching on the plate, Thanksgiving is the exception. If Thanksgiving left you without potato leftovers, you can roast whole sweet potatoes or cubed butternut squash and use those in their place. Yes, please. I’ve been to so many Italian-American Thanksgivings that I actually don’t even know what the festivities look like in a more traditionally American home. 4. Top the final layer of noodles with the remaining gravy. These fun and versatile shapes do well in a pasta salad, baked dishes and with chunkier sauces. You can see why lasagna, with its wonderful make-ahead potential, is the dream Thanksgiving dish for me. When you’ve had your fill of turkey sandwiches and turkey soup, but there are still leftovers waiting to be eaten in the fridge, choose greatness. Fresh zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli lend mild, earthy undertones to pair with the creamy Béchamel sauce. One might even argue that this next-day meal is even better than the main event itself. Our Thanksgiving lasagna can be made a month ahead and frozen or assembled and refrigerated two days before Thanksgiving. It’s lasagne without the labor. If you don’t have extras, cubed bread tossed with a few tablespoons of melted butter and some fresh herbs makes an excellent topping for this lasagna. This, friends, is the right recipe because it tastes like Thanksgiving. 6. A successful leftover lasagna relies on two things: no-boil lasagna noodles, and the right amount of moisture. Sweet potatoes certainly lend a lot of color and flavor, but mashed potatoes and mashed cauliflower work well here too. I probably should have started here, but let’s finish this pitch for Thanksgiving lasagna on a high note. The Kitchn (thekitchn.com) is the dynamic culinary subsidiary of the popular and path-breaking homes-and-interiors website ApartmentTherapy.com. So what say you? But hear us out. I’m not really into day-of acrobatics for Thanksgiving. Hali Bey Ramdene is the founder of StudioHalibey, a creative consultancy that tells stories around food, good living, and well-being. Top with the dressing or stuffing in an even layer. (Meghan Splawn is food editor for TheKitchn.com, a nationally known blog for people who love food and home cooking. Turkey: I’ve filled this lasagna with both the bacon-wrapped turkey and the upside-down turkey. The noodles aren’t cooked before storing or freezing, so they are less likely to get soggy while they wait to be baked. The perfect shapes for young children and equally delicious in your next soup recipe. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Submit any comments or questions to editorial@thekitchn.com.). Distributed by Tribune Content AGency, LLC. 1. A tasty way to get more vegetables in your diet. Accept. 1 (10-ounce) package no-boil or oven-ready lasagna … Lasagna is the greatest way to eat Thanksgiving leftovers. With the right recipe, the pasta dish you make all year becomes the luxurious main you can sit in the center of the Thanksgiving table. So if Thanksgiving is a performance of America’s most-hallowed dinner, make this year the remix. Ingredients 2 lbs of Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced 1 Tbsp of Poultry Seasoning 1-1/2 lbs of Ground Turkey 1 large Onion, minced 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced … I especially enjoy them when they are in the company of richer ingredients like the aforementioned pumpkin crème fraîche sauce and melty Fontina cheese. And by greatness we mean a towering lasagna filled with layers of roasted Brussel sprouts, creamy sweet potatoes, Thanksgiving stuffing and of course, the turkey. TCA uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our privacy policy. Wrap it in plastic wrap, label, and date before freezing. The gravy provides moisture, but also a decent amount of starch to act as a glue between the leftovers and the lasagna noodles. A thin foil will also ensure the lasagna freezes faster. Spread 1/2 cup of the gravy in a thin layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Serves 10 to 12. Yep, lasagna. 01654010345. 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme or sage. You can never go wrong with a classic. can whole berry cranberry sauce, divided 1 1/4 pounds cooked turkey breast, sliced into 1/4-in. Gluten free pasta with the classic pasta taste and texture. Thanksgiving lasagna was born. By replacing the classic noodles with no-boil noodles (sometimes labeled as oven-ready noodles), you can skip the boiling step required for traditional lasagna. Although my first foray into lasagna for Thanksgiving started with bolognese, these days I’m looking for something a bit more vegetable-driven. This year, culinary wizard and associate food editor Meghan Splawn solved that problem with a Thanksgiving lasagna filled with roasted butternut squash; handfuls of Fontina, Parmesan, and sage; and an ultra-decadent pumpkin crème fraîche sauce that holds it all together. Don’t just leave lasagne to leftovers duty! Lasagna is the greatest way to eat Thanksgiving leftovers. This is how you keep it impressive but low-key. Make the cranberry-ricotta sauce. Will you try lasagna for Thanksgiving? You can find more Hamilton-related illustrations plus other pop culture-inspired designs at her online boutique, Casey BarberSHOP. 1 1/2 cups turkey gravy, divided. Cranberry sauce: No sauce? Top evenly with 1/3 of the noodles, 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the Brussels sprouts, 1/2 of the turkey, and 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. Being the sort of hostess that believes a glass of wine should be in the hand not holding a wooden spoon, I like to do as much as possible ahead of time so I can enjoy the party. Besides cooking up faster with less up-front work, the no-boil noodles also make lasagna make-ahead friendly. Consider it an invitation to let your leftovers get a little handsy all in one dish. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Her love of plant-based cooking offers healthy alternatives to some of your favorite dishes. Mix together mashed potatoes and eggs until … Seriously Simple (seriouslysimple.com), by best-selling author Diane Rossen Worthington, tells readers how to cook with panache without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375 F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (glass or ceramic) with cooking spray; set aside. 1/2 cup cranberry sauce. If you’re looking for a culinary triumph, make that recipe. Prepare the baking dish. Leftover Thanksgiving Lasagna. 3. Over time, the traditional Thanksgiving menu has evolved to include dishes that go well together. Our Thanksgiving lasagna can be made a month ahead and frozen or assembled and refrigerated two days before Thanksgiving. Leftover lasagna is the best lasagna. 1 large egg. What People Want from a Healer in the Midst of a Pandemic, A Middle School Math Teacher Planning Lessons and Lunch, The Columbus, OH-based Forager Who's Become a TikTok Star, A Food Justice Advocate and Mother Talks Breastfeeding and Herb Gardens, Bryant Terry's Sautéed Cabbage and Roasted Potatoes, Vivian Howard's Baked Pimento Cheese and Sausage. Whether your style is classic comfort or creative cuisines, your guests will love these lasagna recipes so much they’ll earn a permanent spot on your Thanksgiving menu. In the presence of time, the different components have a chance to mingle and settle into one another so each slice feels like a stacked Rothko you can eat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8”-x-8” baking pan with butter then coat with breadcrumbs. So I’ve learned from past experiences, and now I make two. No problem — just skip it in the ricotta mixture. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-vegetarian-thanksgiving-lasagna-237532 Finish with the remaining noodles. Place the ricotta, cranberry sauce, egg, salt and herbs in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. You can substitute all or part of the turkey called for here with cooked ham. 5. Of course it’s a huge compliment to the cook to have a dish you make consumed in full at a meal or party, but if I don’t have lasagna leftover from Thanksgiving, I get sad. A bite of mashed potatoes with a bit of green casserole? Bake until the noodles are tender, the top is golden-brown, and the gravy is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Salty prosciutto, sweet Vidalia onions, and juicy sautéed tomatoes come together effortlessly in this creative dish, all while saving you plenty of oven space for the main event. Certified USDA organic pasta made with non-GMO ingredients. Apartment Therapy is full of ideas for creating a warm, beautiful, healthy home. Here are some suggested filling substitutes for those included in the recipe below. Layers of wavy lasagne ridges keep all the savory Italian sausage, mouthwatering marinara, and velvety ricotta tucked under a bubbly blanket of mozzarella. Spread the remaining ricotta in a thin, even layer over the gravy. This lasagna relies on Thanksgiving leftovers but has flexibility on everything except the gravy and ricotta mixture. Fresh zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli lend mild, earthy undertones to pair with the creamy Béchamel sauce. Consider building this lasagna in an aluminum baking pan to avoid freezing your favorite casserole dish. Fill it with seasonal flavors, splurge on a few fancy ingredients, and make it a few weeks ahead so all you have to do on Thanksgiving is pop it in the oven. (Lauren Volo/TNS), The Kitchn: How to make Thanksgiving leftovers lasagna, The Medicine Cabinet: Ask the Harvard Experts, Los Angeles Times Sunday Crossword Puzzle, Family Health Guide from Harvard Health Publications, Guide to Fitness from Harvard Health Publications, Investing by Life Stages from Morningstar. We’re here to share Thanksgiving lasagna recipes you’ll be thankful for. Our reimagined sauces are as distinct as the regions of Italy that inspired them. Kary Osmond (karyosmond.com) is a Canadian recipe developer and former television host of the popular daytime cooking show “Best Recipes Ever.” If you can follow directions to a grocery store, you'll have no problem recreating her easy recipes. 100% whole grain goodness with the delicious taste and “al dente” texture of traditional pasta. In place of a red sauce or a béchamel, we’ll rely on gravy. A dried, filled pasta that is never doughy or chewy when cooked, and always bursts with naturally fresh flavors. Her new book, “Seriously Simple Parties,” offers tips, recipes and menus for effortless entertaining. Classic Pasta Taste powered by 100% plant protein. Finely diced ingredients infused in oil for a delicious, balanced texture. Balance thinner strands of pasta with light sauces and thicker strands with robust sauces. Repeat layering with 1/3 of the noodles, 1/2 cup of the gravy, the remaining potatoes, remaining Brussels sprouts, remaining turkey and 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Ingredients 3 cups leftover cornbread stuffing, divided 1 (14-oz.) Oh, yes. It only gets better as it sits. 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme or sage, 1 (10-ounce) package no-boil or oven-ready lasagna noodles, divided, 3 cups leftover sweet potato casserole or mashed potatoes, divided, 1 1/2 cups shredded, cooked Brussels sprouts, divided. Potatoes: All potatoes are welcome here. Perhaps it’s because my family never cared much for turkey that I’m so quick to kick it off the island, but for me (and I imagine many others), turkey does not a Thanksgiving make.