On top of that it’s just fun to play and great exercise ! They have made it to the NBA Finals for the past 5 years. Happy learning and I will see you all in my next article. Thanks to all of this data old players who were once valued are now near extinction and teams are no longer interested in players who take a lot of inefficient two-point shots and don’t have a strong defense (makes me wonder about James Harden). The main takeaway is that the 50% return gained from the additional point at the 3 point line makes the long range attempt worth it. Today nearly all NBA team front offices have data analyst employees. By using the mean method, I can see that the average age of an NBA player for that season is 26.5, and I can expect the average player to get about 516 points (pts) in a season, 24 blocks (blk), 39 steals (stl)and 113 assists (ast).

The Golden state warriors even credit their success to their analyst. Thanks to all of this data old players who were once valued are now near extinction and teams are no longer interested in players who take a lot of inefficient two-point shots and don’t have a strong defense (makes me wonder about James Harden). But the NBA and teams (specifically the Houston Rockets) have been criticized for the repetitive style of play and unpopular methods to raise a team from mediocrity (*cough* tanking).
The analysis showed that a three point shot that had a 35 percent chance of going in, on average, led to more points than a two-point shot. In that same season they set the all time record for number of 3 pointers taken in a single season, while finishing in the 1 seed in a talent packed Western Conference. Whatever the method, under the leadership of NBA commissioner Adam Silver, I have no doubt that the NBA is taking into account every possible way to keep the game of basketball engaging for the fans.

This “process” to become championship contenders has largely been in part due to Data Analytics. Analysts studied the plays of games and the shots taken to determine which shots would be more likely to push the team to victory.

Statistically speaking, there’s a 35% chance a decent to good shooter will make the shot. These days, teams can use video analytics to identify the right positioning for players, and even if they are dealing with some type of injury or not. If you don’t have a player who can efficiently shoot the 3 point shot you won’t succeed.

On top of that it’s just fun to play and great exercise ! This is a breakdown of how Stephen Curry fairs against the rest of the league when taking shots from certain areas of the court.

In my opinion, basketball is a wonderful sport, you can tell a lot about a person from the way s/he played basketball, things like did s/he hog the ball ? Every player now is expected to be good passers as well. The Golden State Warriors hold 4 out of the top 10 record holders for 3 point shots made in a single season. That being said this strategy has been adopted within college basketball too. One of the biggest and noticeable changes to the NBA caused by data and analytics is the increase of the three-point shots per game, which was a result of some simple math.

As teams consider incorporating data analytics into their strategies they need to be wise in their decision making process. The NBA has also used Bayesian statistics to figure out how much better a teams overall defense is when a given player is on the court, as well as evaluating the teams overall defense. So NBA teams and coaches strongly encourage players who are good at shooting 3’s to take as many three-point shots as often as possible.

The data gives a player an edge on how to adjust their game and effort based on their opponent and individual health. The Golden state warriors even credit their success to their analyst. I think it’s interesting that the baseball team that first used the data was Oakland Athletics, and maybe it’s not such a coincidence that the NBA Golden State Warriors a team that seems unbeatable in the NBA the past few years, also uses data to make them successful, oh and did I mention they are also currently located in Oakland. All of this to create a championship winning team.

One of the individuals who really pushed for Data Analytics driven basketball is Daryl Morey, General Manager of the Houston Rockets since 2007. Every player now is expected to be good passers as well. Source: Welcome to Smarter Basketball A graphic posted during ABC’s broadcast of the finals showed how far ahead of his peers Curry is. Players like Kevin Durante, Klay Thompson, and Stephen Curry do this all of the time. This data is good to see which players discourage the most efficient types of shots a.k.a three-pointers and dunks. These data analyst work with coaches and players to maximize the talents of the players and of course like “Money Ball”, identify under valued players. The strategy is not simply making 3 point shots. “Analytics are part and parcel of virtually everything we do now” — NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. YouTube Channel:randerson112358: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV_0qp2NZd319K4_K8Z5SQ, compsci112358:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmb5IoBtHZTpYZCDBOC1CA, Website:http://everythingcomputerscience.com/, Video Tutorials on Recurrence Relation:https://www.udemy.com/recurrence-relation-made-easy/, Video Tutorial on Algorithm Analysis:https://www.udemy.com/algorithm-analysis/, Basketball on Paper: Rules & Tools for Performance Analysis, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1574886886/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=medium074-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1574886886&linkId=d04f0224401e7fcd98c8609cb767069e, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV_0qp2NZd319K4_K8Z5SQ, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmb5IoBtHZTpYZCDBOC1CA, https://www.udemy.com/recurrence-relation-made-easy/, https://www.udemy.com/algorithm-analysis/, https://www.youtube.com/user/randerson112358, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmb5IoBtHZTpYZCDBOC1, Why Bundesliga Clubs Have Looked So Good in the Champions League, Under Armour tells UCLA they want out of $280M Sponsorship Deal, 4 Key Things To Think About When Trying To Find The Right Agent As A Professional Athlete, Dickey Kerr Reflects on MLB’s Notorious Chicago Black Sox, The NCAA Fights Congressional Bill to Pay College Athletes. In 2018’s March Madness, Villanova University broke the Final Four record for most 3 pointers made in a game. If you are interested in data science and data analytics after reading this article you should check out the website FiveThirtyEight.com they have many interesting articles and statistics on politics, sports, science, health, economics and culture, you can also check out my blog for more information on free tutorials and books on data analytics/ science. Was the person afraid to shoot and miss ? To avoid repetitive style of play and making the game a 3 point contest, some are saying to push the 3 point line further back to make it more difficult. These data analyst work with coaches and players to maximize the talents of the players and of course like “Money Ball”, identify under valued players. Curry has already made more three pointers during these Playoffs than the entire NBA did in 1980. Capitalizing on Data Analytics is a trend that is seeping into every facet of the sport, from rookie scouting, spotting undervalued players, calculating efficient shots, the rise of the 3 point shot, and so on. The Roadmap of Mathematics for Deep Learning, PandasGUI: Analyzing Pandas dataframes with a Graphical User Interface, Top 10 Trending Python Projects On GitHub, How I cracked my MLE interview at Facebook, How to Teach Yourself Data Science in 2020, 3 Python Tricks to Read, Create, and Run Multiple Files Automatically. They actually have a Hackathon coming up this September. Hands-on real-world examples, research, tutorials, and cutting-edge techniques delivered Monday to Thursday.

NBA players use wearable technologies to track their health, avoid injury, and track their fatigue levels. While three-point shots may be more efficient, if a team doesn’t possess any good three-point shooters, this strategy will still fail them.”.
If you’re a fan of the NBA you’re well aware that the NBA is undergoing a massive revolution right now. The NBA has been using statistics so heavily, that they might surpass that of Major League Baseball (MLB) in using data, which was one of the first US sports league to use data to find hidden insights and patterns to benefit their team. Find the average or mean for each numeric column / feature in the data set. One of the analyses done was that many long range inefficient 2 point shots were being taken by players. So, when you put these two fields together, you get an article written by yours truly. Click any player to view their scouting report. If you’re a student, a fan of the NBA and looking for a challenge, I’d highly recommend taking a shot at it. As you can see above, Houston’s shot selections are starting to be predictable. Have you ever heard of “Money Ball” , both the movie and book give a good depiction of the events and use of data that led to a under dog team (Oakland Athletics) winning many games with players who were obviously under valued. Without the right players to employ the analytics-heavy strategy, teams can easily fail to achieve the expected results.

Another team that has heavily adopted Data Analytics since the early days is the Golden State Warriors. Only invited guests and competitors will be allowed to attend.

The average three-point shot taken in 2012 was about 18.4 three-point shots per game, and in 2017 the average team took about 27 shots per game, that’s a little over 46% more shots! This technology has helped track where a player shoots his best shots. A graphic posted during ABC’s broadcast of the finals showed how far ahead of his peers Curry is. “…teams have had varying degrees of success.

I found the following website in my research and was completely awestruck by how detailed the player’s information was. I think it’s interesting that the baseball team that first used the data was Oakland Athletics, and maybe it’s not such a coincidence that the NBA Golden State Warriors a team that seems unbeatable in the NBA the past few years, also uses data to make them successful, oh and did I mention they are also currently located in Oakland.

In 2009 the league began using a state of the art video system to track the players movement on the court as well as the ball. As cool as this revolution is, it doesn’t come without it’s critics. The average three-point shot taken in 2012 was about 18.4 three-point shots per game, and in 2017 the average team took about 27 shots per game, that’s a little over 46% more shots! The rise of big data is pitting the old school against the new school as the NBA undergoes its analytics revolution. Due to the lack of likelihood of it becoming a basket, analysts and coaching staff across the league began encouraging their team’s shooters to take more shots from the 3 point line. Did s/he show off on the court ? Please leave many claps on here and share it, thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to read this article ! If you would like to learn more about the NBA and data analytics I suggest you read “Basketball on Paper: Rules & Tools for Performance Analysis” , this book is considered to be the Money Ball book of basketball! In the 2015 playoffs, Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors made more 3 pointers in that playoff series than the entire roster of players who played in the 1980 NBA playoffs. Data science is a mixture of statistics, data analysis, machine learning, computer science, and knowledge of the data / business that aims to provide insights and understanding from data.

Did s/he show off on the court ?

Round {{ last.round }} • Pick {{ last.pick }} Find your potential at the NBA where our on-and-off-court decisions are driven by Data.Our demand for analytical solutions for our business operations continues to grow. So NBA teams and coaches strongly encourage players who are good at shooting 3’s to take as many three-point shots as often as possible.