Unfortunately, Billy Joe's later albums (at least the ones I've been able to get my hands on) all have great writing but suffer from bad production with the exception of I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal which is very good. Released in 1973, it's a showcase for Billy Joe Shaver's significant songwriting skills (the title track and a couple others became standards in Lone Star circles). of real country music recorded by a man who really came from the Texas countryside; no need for Mr. Shaver to fake the whisky-tinged accent. There really is no point though in naming individual tracks. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. "Old Five and Dimers Like Me" was the title track to Billy Joe Shaver's 1973 debut album. In other words, he doesn't range far, but he hits the mark most of the time. Reviewed in the United States on September 30, 2017, Reviewed in the United States on September 15, 2013. Very good record album. Reviewed in the United States on May 12, 2014, Prompt mailing of a wonderufl CD. The ensemble and arrangement on Played the Game Too Long is perfect. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1973 Vinyl release of Old Five And Dimers Like Me on Discogs. Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC. They're all fantastic. I'm enjoying his new work, but for newcomers-give this a listen and you'll be pleased. Some great songs by the guy who wrote them. of real country music recorded by a man who really came from the Texas countryside; no need for Mr. Shaver to fake the whisky-tinged accent. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Great songs sung with feeling that human beings can relate to and enjoy. Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2014, Reviewed in the United States on August 11, 2010. Includes the hit I Been to Georgia on a Fast Train , a couple of unreleased tracks and a whole lot of attitude. Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2010. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Some great songs by the guy who wrote them. Do you know any background info about this album? There's a problem loading this menu right now. There really is no point though in naming individual tracks. Recent Clear Search History. A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. I enjoyed listening to this on the speakers outside while camping at Lake Waldena, Reviewed in the United States on July 11, 2010. … I enjoyed Waylon Jennings renditions, and was a Kris Kristofferson fan already, but the song that hooked me forever was "I Been to Georgia on a Fast Train" as he does it on this album. "Serious Souls" is a delight. Shaver's 1973 album 'Old Five and Dimers Like Me' is a classic in the outlaw country genre. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Some guy by the name of Kris Kristofferson produced this record around 1973. This is a fine album (CD?) Preview the embedded widget. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. I love Waylon's versions but these are for sure the best these songs were ever recorded. The ensemble and arrangement on Played the Game Too Long is perfect. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. This was a part of a Father's Day gift for my Son He loved it! He spent his childhood in a honky-tonk, broke into country music by threatening (on separate occasions) Bobby Bare and Waylon Jennings, cut off two fingers in a sawmill accident, lost his mother, wife, and son within a single year, shot a stranger to make him apologize, and has suffered a heart attack on stage. That's a great album itself, and a total contrast to the much simpler sound found on "Old Five and Dimers Like Me". Shaver's 1973 album 'Old Five and Dimers Like Me' is a classic in the outlaw country genre. Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. Released in 1973, it's a showcase for Billy Joe Shaver's significant songwriting skills (the title track and a couple others became standards in Lone Star circles). To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Jesus Was Our Saviour and Cotton Was Our King, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. A masterpiece. Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2014, Reviewed in the United States on August 11, 2010. --Steven Stolder. Fans of the late Stephen Bruton will enjoy his guitar throughout the album, but "Bottom Dollar" showcases his playing and Billy Joe's Texan roots charm. I bought this after getting Waylon Jenning's Honky Tonk Heroes and learning that Billy Joe Shaver wrote all but one of the songs from that album. This is an unbelievably great album. Restless Wind: The Legendary Billy Joe Shaver: 1973-1987, Salt of the Earth by Shaver, Billy Joe (2000-09-19), The Gilded Palace Of Sin & Burrito Deluxe. Go directly to shout page. Javascript is required to view shouts on this page. Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2010. I enjoyed Waylon Jennings renditions, and was a Kris Kristofferson fan already, but the song that hooked me forever was "I Been to Georgia on a Fast Train" as he does it on this album. In other words, he doesn't range far, but he hits the mark most of the time. Shaver's 1973 album 'Old Five and Dime…, Billy Joe Shaver (born in Corsicana, TX, on 16 August 1939; died 28 October 2020) was an American Texas country music singer and songwriter. Until he was 12, he spent a great deal of time with his grandmother in Corsicana so that his mother could work in Waco. As a vocalist, Shaver is a gruff droner a la Five and Dimers producer Kris Kristofferson. Kris Kristofferson should be very proud of himself for the production job he did on this. Old Five and Dimers Like Me is archetypal outlaw country. This is just a preview! Some guy by the name of Kris Kristofferson produced this record around 1973. This recording is not slick sounding or over produced. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Old Five and Dimers Like Me is archetypal outlaw country. Let's put it this way; he doesn't need a cowboy hat - the music speaks for itself. When Waylon Jennings needed songs for his Honky Tonk Heroes album released later that year, he filled it with Shaver's songs, including this one. Scrobbling is when Last.fm tracks the music you listen to and automatically adds it to your music profile. Please try again. Reviewed in the United States on April 3, 2010. Download our mobile app now. I'm enjoying his new work, but for newcomers-give this a listen and you'll be pleased. 0. I don't mean good, I mean shockingly good. Billy Joe Shaver is a Texas singer-songwriter and an outlaw country icon. 1: Willy the Wandering Gypsy and Me: 2: Black Rose: 3: I Been to Georgia on a Fast Train: 4: Old Five and Dimers Like Me: embed Embed. Please try again. Let's put it this way; he doesn't need a cowboy hat - the music speaks for itself. There's a problem loading this menu right now.