Oseltamivir is a prescription medication that fights both influenza A and influenza B viruses and is sold under the trade name of Tamiflu. This popular Asian seasoning traditionally contains ground cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns, although today a different spice combination may be used in the recipe. The Chinese version is considered to be safe when used in normal food quantities, however. Star anise is also known as Chinese anise and features the same three essential oils as the botanically-unrelated anise seed. Peg Cole from Northeast of Dallas, Texas on May 12, 2014: Interesting information on the Star Anise. Its leaves are lanceolate, or shaped like a lance head. Attikos from East Cackalacky on December 04, 2011: Thanks, Alicia. Stephanie Bradberry from New Jersey on May 11, 2014: Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 08, 2011: Thank you, gryphin423. In traditional Chinese medicine, star anise is prescribed as an digestive aid, promoting health of female reproductive organs and for lactating mothers to increase breast-milk secretion. Thanks for sharing. I don't think star anise would survive in my location's climate. Reputable companies make sure that their product contains only the Chinese species, but it's still important to be careful. I believe I have tried Anise as tea under the name "Chinese Star". The star anise plant usually grows as a tree. The flavour of star anise is sweeter – more similar to fennel than liquorice. Its leaves, flowers and fruits look very different from those of the star anise plant. chanroth from California, USA on May 12, 2014: That's very interesting information! The fruits must come from the plant with the scientific name Illicium verum, which is often known as Chinese star anise. Anisette, sambuca, and ouzo are usually flavored with star anise oil instead of oil from anise seeds, since star anise is cheaper to obtain. Star anise contains a relatively high level of shikimic acid compared to other plants. Anethole inhibits growth of multidrug resistant toxigenic. Thanks! Some people like to add the spice to cooked porridge and grains. Like anise, star anise has carminative, stomachic, stimulant and diuretic properties. What Are The Best Spices To Use In BBQ Rubs? Thank you for the comment. These hard sections are seed pods. The biological classification of star anise is in a state of flux at the moment, with different biologists having different ideas about how it should be classified. The intact fruit has a strong, pungent, and mildly sweet taste that somewhat resembles the taste of anise seeds but is slightly weaker. It has a strong anise flavour, with a liquorice-like aroma. At the moment, WebMD says there is insufficient evidence that the spice has health benefits. Star anise has traditionally been used to relieve discomfort in the digestive system. This pungent spice has a strong flavour and is popular in Chinese cooking. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Anise Stars, Badain, Badiana, Chinese Anise, French: anis de la Chine, anise étoilé, badiane Star anise is a versatile spice! I think it's a great spice. It was first introduced into Europe in the seventeenth century. Bouquet: Powerful and liquorice-like, more pungent and stronger than anise. The best spice flavor is obtained when the fruit is ground just before use. That first video with the apples and apricots and crumble on top looks easy enough to make and looks delicious. There’s one very important precaution that must be taken when purchasing or using star anise, especially when it's sold as a tea. Thanks for the comment, Peg. Yes, Asian markets do sell interesting things! An essential oil can be extracted from the spice and used as a flavoring agent in items such as jams and liqueurs. fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); Although shikimic acid from star anise can be used to make a medicine that fights viruses, there is no evidence that the intact spice is antiviral. The chemical may need to reach a certain concentration in order to fight microbes. In the West, star anise is added in fruit compotes and jams, and in the manufacture of anise-flavoured liqueurs, the best known being anisette. The stars are available whole, or ground to a red-brown powder. Star anise plants have attractive, unusual, and very flavorful fruits that smell and taste like licorice. It has a strong flavor that could overwhelm the taste of a meal if a large amount is added. (Like anise, fennel is a member of the parsley family.) The pot pourri might be a good option to use it up, the creme brulee looks rather appetising too. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); In Chinese red cooking, where the ingredients are simmered for a lengthy period in dark soy sauce, star anise is nearly always added to beef and chicken dishes. Star anise, dry fruits of the star anise tree (Illicium verum), used as a spice and source of pharmaceutical chemicals. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 05, 2011: Hi, breakfastpop. The spice provides a lovely flavor to teas, infusions, mulled ciders, some wines, and coffee. Star anise, Illicium verum, is sometimes called Chinese star anise. This plant grows mainly in parts of China and Vietnam and produces fruits that are safe to eat. Thank you for the very detailed article, Linda. The fruit is picked before it can ripen, and dried. Star anise is not related to the common anise, Anisum vulgare. Rated up, useful and interesting. The whole spice is an attractive eight-pointed star, but star anise is more often found ground to a powder. The Epicentre is about herbs and spices, the spice trade, cooking with spices, recipes and health benefits of spice. Indonesian: bunga lawang My mom uses star anise to put in the curry. Other Uses of the Spice. Spices add such interesting tastes to meals. The spice also has non-culinary applications. The oil of star anise is useful in providing relief from rheumatism and lower back pain. Star anise is an interesting spice to experiment with! Star anise belongs to the plant family known as the Schisandraceae, while anise (or aniseed) belongs to the Apiaceae family. It’s licorice-like flavor actually bears a close resemblance to that of fennel and basil, tomato’s classic companions. I think they're all delicious! Use ground star anise in baking or with duckling, or put the whole spice in a slow-cooking casserole. WebMD says that children should not be given star anise unless it's accompanied by a reliable verification that it doesn't contain the Japanese version. Star anise gives a delicious flavor to desserts likes crumbles. It also recommends that pregnant and nursing women avoid the spice. This is a type of beef noodle soup which contains a broth made from spices and marrow bones. Advertisement. Your best bet for ensuring that it retains some flavor when you are ready to use it is to buy it whole and then grind it immediately before use. In contrast, Japanese star anise is poisonous. It's fun to write about them. Seeing the scientific name of the spice reminds me that it's the true one to buy. Shikimic acid, a compound present in star anise is used for preparing drug for curing influenza or the flu virus. This is a scientific illustration of the Chinese star anise plant from 1833, Pierre John Francois Turpin, via Wikimedia Commons, public domain image. I like the flavor of anise, star anise and fennel. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. Apart from its use in sweetmeats and confectionery, where sweeteners must be added, it contributes to meat and poultry dishes, combining especially well with pork and duck. In the East it is used to combat colic and rheumatism. Apart from the culinary application, star anise is also popular for its medicinal benefits. These hard sections are seed pods. I can get packets of star anise fruits in a nearby produce store and in a health food store in my area. Anethole extracted from plants has killed microbes in lab equipment. And grandma use to make tea with it and my grandpa he put it in vodka with other herbs, it become medicinal. Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. I've grown the herb anise, and it works for me in the kitchen. The plant can be grown in North America, but special care is needed because it can't tolerate low temperatures.