The Phantom brought back less than half its reported $45m budget at the box office. A veteran of the notorious grind-houses of Forty-second Street from its '70s & '80s heyday, the Phantom (a.k.a. Reviewed in the United States on January 21, 2016. here is my preface....I love the crappy 1950's movies, I really do, this hot mess from 1956 was just awful, it won't even get my "good bad" movie rating. Take the scene where a character is killed with a booby-trapped microscope. I question whether the team behind The Phantom felt they had quite enough film. Regardless, 50's sci-fi fans are grateful for Kino Lorber releasing a blu-ray of this terrible movie. This latest edition of the Ultimate Guide continues from the highly successful first edition (no longer in print) in providing the reader with sharp, concise, reviews of every important (and a few not-so important) genre films. What a boring change. For a start theres Profesor King, who does a lot of pacing up and down, looking sweaty and suspicious. With these qualifications, the Phantom brings an experienced eye and a seasoned opinion to reviewing the 3,000 films in this book. The Terror from Beyond Space (Midnite Movies Double Feature), Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe [Blu-ray]. It involves the character leaping up, trapping two villains with his thighs, and flinging them, but comes with the unfortunate effect of accidentally having the film’s hero gesture at the audience with his buttocks. The 1996 film The Phantom is a bit of an oddity. Supernatural Season 15 Episode 17 Review: Unity, Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Episode 3 Review: People of Earth, Truth Seekers Review: An Affectionate British Tribute to Horror, The joy of finding a surprise, excellent movie to watch, Star Wars: How The Phantom Menace Teaser Trailer Became a Cinematic Event, Jake Lloyd on how Star Wars: The Phantom Menace ended his acting career, Halloween: Timeline Explained for Horror Movie Franchise, The Most Terrifying Magic: The Gathering Cards, Best Horror Movies on Netflix: Scariest Films to Stream, Topps' Fright Flicks Cards: Where Horror and Comedy Collide. The nervousness is understandable. Everyone is trying to figure out what's going on and there's even an unfriendly country trying to obtain the scientific discovery. The big difference is that where The Phantom limped apologetically across the screen before shuffling away, the The Mummy stormed both the screen and the box office. The bad monster pops up now and then in a very cheap suit, very cheap. This is essentially a no star movie that gets one star from being a 50's atomic age movie and because you have to give it one star. Please try again. There's a problem loading this menu right now. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. The film has a calm pace and tone. We also learn about the bad guys, who happily risk the life of a young boy in order to avoid any personal risk. It’s quite surprising, then, to find economy and invention absent from much of the rest of the film. Three Rivers Press; 1st edition (September 26, 2000), Genre Video Guide Distinguished by Pedigree of Author, Reviewed in the United States on September 28, 2000.