Way of the Dodo would have to be a much better track (and not, as it stands, one of this album's weakest) to give any punch to his thoughts about the environment. contributions. Explain your version of song meaning, find more of The Streets lyrics. The titular opening track is a remarkably upbeat statement of intent, a fanfare of horns heralding in a drawl with the lines “Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they change it/ I came to this world with nothing/ And I leave with nothing but love”. Everything is Borrowed is a very introspective, personal acceptance that, well, God doesn’t exist, people are fallible but generally decent, and we should all just get along and have a dance before the inevitable conclusion. Soon to be club-standard Heaven for the Weather is a gleeful throwback to happy hardcore, Skinner rapping “People are intricate/ People aren’t swines/ Let’s tear up the rulebook/ And rely on our minds” over a piano refrain that would be in anyone else’s hands would sound criminally out of date, but Skinner imbibes it with enough cheeky joy to have even the stalest raver reaching for the glowsticks. As he almost says at the start of the album, all you need is love, and sometimes all you're left with is the need. Provide song facts, names, places and other worthy info that may "My time on this earth is my only penny," Skinner observes in the title track. How's that for an uncomfortable combination of ideas? A wordsmith with street cred. by our users: Please, do not delete tags "[e=***][/e]", because they responsible for Highlight lyrics and request an explanation. Lead single The Escapist is a triumphant, strings-drenched epitaph, perhaps for the apparently soon-to-be-retiring Skinner himself, about letting worldly worries disappear with the promise of something better – not heaven, perhaps, but something like it. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Also we collected some tips and tricks for you: Follow these rules and your meaning will be published. Not everything works – when Skinner deviates from his existential musings it can go horribly wrong, like the saccharine Strongest Person I Know, a lamentable attempt at tender balladeering that could easily have been jettisoned, but even a small mid-record slump is enlivened by Skinner’s constant invention – an imagined conversation between a would be suicide and an ancient philosopher on The Edge of A Cliff is a highlight. Don't understand the meaning of the song? Since the long dark night of the soul of his last album, Skinner appears to have had a road to Damascus moment – quite literally if the video to the lead single The Escapist, which sees Skinner marching alone across France, is to be believed. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to, To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. the everyday escapist. Lyrics taken from - No, I'm going to be fooled into thinking I own this world of illusion, and yes, I'm deeply puzzled about what I have left when I've taken that position. Everything is Borrowed is a huge step up from the claustrophobic two step of his last record – here there’s disco, funk, swinging French accordion and even a reasonable stab at smooth Jazz, on the Miles Davis-apeing I Love You More (Than You Like Me).