However, they had already attracted the attention of a number of public figures and the police. Some organisations are also taking part, including the Music Producers Guild, the National Children's Bureau charity, London's Southbank Centre, the Jewish Chronicle newspaper and the American Jewish Committee. Some of the tweets were deleted, but Twitter was criticised for taking time to act and leaving some tweets up. Quiz of the week: How did Kazakhstan embrace Borat? She said that Twitter founder Jack Dorsey "has to stick by [Twitter's] remit of anti racism. Video'Where will I go with my children?'. We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us. © 2020 BBC. .css-14iz86j-BoldText{font-weight:bold;}A 48-hour boycott of Twitter by some of its users, protesting at the platform's alleged lack of action on anti-Semitism has begun. 'Our kids died in a shooting, but we disagree on guns' Video'Our kids died in a shooting, but we disagree on guns', Fundraiser for unwitting Borat star raises $110,000, 'My sister lives on in a video game' Video'My sister lives on in a video game', Light pollution's wasted energy seen from space. A host of MPs from different parties also said they would take part - including Labour's Rosena Allin-Khan and David Lammy, former Green Party leader Caroline Lucas, acting Lib Dems leader Ed Davey, and Conservative MP Jane Stevenson. Please walk out with us.". I’m so used to antisemitic hatred, caricature and conspiracy theories from governments, looneytunes, the left, right and reasonable middle that I long ago lost hope for change online or in life.Maybe there’s a window. Your inaction amounts to complicity.". Video, 'Our kids died in a shooting, but we disagree on guns' Video, 'Our kids died in a shooting, but we disagree on guns', 'My sister lives on in a video game' Video, How much is the US election about race? Antisemitism is unacceptable. She added: "It is about time social media companies Twitter [and] Instagram live up to the values their users would expect.". The anti-Semitism row has also resulted in calls for that honour to be withdrawn. UK Home Secretary Priti Patel said she had asked Twitter and Instagram for a full explanation, while London mayor Sadiq Khan has written to the firms, criticising their reaction. Dozens of well-known figures supporting the two-day "walkout" are using the hashtags #NoSafeSpaceForJewHate and #48HoursSilence. But since that time, other people and organisations have joined, including the accounts of Greenpeace UK, the Royal Opera House, the pop group McFly, sports broadcaster Gary Lineker, as well as members of the public. Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, meanwhile, has written to Twitter chief executive Jack Dorsey and Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg, telling them: "social media companies have a responsibility to act and must do so without delay". Wiley's management also dropped the artist over the weekend, saying: "There is no place in society for anti-Semitism.". However, some people have questioned whether keeping silent is the best way to challenge online hate. The protest formally began at 09:00BST. 3 Those taking part have vowed not to tweet - or use Twitter at all - from Monday morning to Wednesday morning, reflecting the 48 hours of inaction they accuse Twitter of. Trump and Biden duel in key swing state of Florida, .css-gw44ni-IconContainer{display:inline-block;height:1em;width:1em;vertical-align:-0.125em;margin-right:0.25em;}play'We raise them in basements then send them to fight' Video'We raise them in basements then send them to fight', 'Where will I go with my children?' Actress and writer Tracy-Ann Oberman, who is one of those leading the movement, tweeted on Saturday that Twitter had "allowed [Wiley] 48 hours of pure race hate". Silence is complicity. Wiley has been temporarily banned from Twitter and dropped by his manager after a series of inflammatory posts on both platforms on Friday, July 24, and Saturday, July 25. "We enforce our rules judiciously and impartially for all and take action if an account violates our rules," it said. .css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link{color:inherit;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{color:#696969;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:focus,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:focus{color:#B80000;-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link::after,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited::after{content:'';position:absolute;top:0;right:0;bottom:0;left:0;z-index:2;}Wiley: Priti Patel probes Twitter and Instagram delay in removing 'appalling' posts, Wiley dropped by management over anti-Semitic posts, Hate speech: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube told off by MPs, French church attacker came from Tunisia days ago. During his tweet session, Wiley referenced conspiracy theories about Jewish people and other insulting material. Many have now been replaced with notices that the tweets are no longer available because they violated Twitter's rules. It was triggered by the actions of grime music artist Wiley, who shared several posts on Twitter on Friday. How much is the US election about race? Rapper Wiley has been banned from Twitter after being accused of an anti-Semitic rant. On Friday night the Grime star shocked followers with a series of tweets and was given an hours long ban. On Saturday, London's Metropolitan Police in Tower Hamlets tweeted that they had received "a number of reports" about anti-Semitic tweets, and that "the relevant material is being assessed". The 41-year-old artist, whose real name is Richard Cowie, is a major figure in grime music, and was made an MBE in 2018 for services to music. VideoHow much is the US election about race? Wiley has branded Twitter users ‘cowards’ for contacting the police over his tweets about the Jewish community. End Sars protests: 'I felt I was going to die' VideoEnd Sars protests: 'I felt I was going to die', .css-orcmk8-HeadlineContainer{display:-webkit-box;display:-webkit-flex;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-webkit-box-pack:justify;-webkit-justify-content:space-between;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;}France attack: Attacker arrived from Tunisia days ago.css-1dedj2h-Rank{-webkit-align-self:center;-ms-flex-item-align:center;align-self:center;color:#B80000;margin-left:3.125rem;}1, Scarlett Johansson marries Colin Jost in 'intimate' ceremony2, US Election 2020: Trump and Biden duel in critical state of Florida3, Covid-19: Record traffic out of Paris as second French lockdown begins4, US election: The women who hold the key to Trump's survival5, Walmart pulls guns from display over 'civil unrest' concerns6, US election 2020 polls: Who is ahead - Trump or Biden?7, Dogs are humans' oldest companions, DNA shows8, Spotify and Joe Rogan under fire over Alex Jones role9, The Countdown: Kellyanne Conway, Miles Taylor and the speculation game10. Video, End Sars protests: 'I felt I was going to die' Video, End Sars protests: 'I felt I was going to die', France attack: Attacker arrived from Tunisia days ago, Scarlett Johansson marries Colin Jost in 'intimate' ceremony, US Election 2020: Trump and Biden duel in critical state of Florida, Covid-19: Record traffic out of Paris as second French lockdown begins, US election: The women who hold the key to Trump's survival, Walmart pulls guns from display over 'civil unrest' concerns. Actress and writer Tracy-Ann Oberman, who is one of those leading the movement, tweeted on Saturday that Twitter had "allowed [Wiley] 48 hours of pure race hate". US election 2020 polls: Who is ahead - Trump or Biden? Police are now investigating Wiley's tweets, and said "enquiries remain ongoing". The so-called "godfather of grime" has also been temporarily barred from Instagram. He also posted extensively to Facebook-owned Instagram. The firm highlighted its policies that ban the promotion of violence against people on the basis of religion, race or ethnicity. Karen Pollock, chief executive of the UK's Holocaust Educational Trust, tweeted her organisation's support for the move, writing that Twitter can be "abusive, distressing and so draining". Known as ‘Godfather of Grime,’ MC Wiley has tarnished his legacy after a shocking lengthy Twitter tirade on Friday night. #NoSafeSpaceForJewHate https://t.co/FxkLZLmXva. Wiley has shocked fans with his tweets (Picture: Tabatha Fireman/Getty Images) Wiley has been accused of anti-Semitism after a series of tweets about Jewish people and Israel.. radio presenter and activist Maajid Nawaz. We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.