Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42739, https://i1.wp.com/www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/wu-cleanup-399tb-1.png.
It isn't just Windows Server Enterprise Edition.

Not being able to uninstall updates is actually a pretty lightweight risk to take on board, and if that was the worst position you could find yourself in, then I'd say go for it. Thanks for contributing an answer to Server Fault! Go to Control Panel → Turn Windows features on or off, and click Add Features in Feature Summary section. Then after testing complete (space no longer needed) move the files back to c:\windows\installer? OK, I get it. Windows 2008: WinSXS directory growing uncontrollably, blocking server, Windows Server 2008 R2 “Missing Operating System” on boot. I believe the command is dism /online /cleanup-image (Don’t quote me on this). How did games like Doom offer free trials? Unfortunately, it’s not installed by default when you first installed Windows Server 2008 R2. to patching unless some how moving these files back to a different sector in the disk is an issue.

I added the tags windows-server-2008-r2 and windows-server-2008 because I didn't see a tag for Windows Server Enterprise SP2. Why aren't fixed build platform 3D printers popular? While deleting stuff in c\windows\installer is widely not recommended, there is a (hidden) sub folder in there called $patchcache or something similar, see if that is taking up space and delete all the content. Why is it sometimes hard to engage reverse gear in a manual transmission? How to mount wire bead tyres without damaging them? We'll see. So, the first step we need to do is to install Disk Cleanup utility which is part of a system feature called Desktop Experience. Click on Move to move the no longer needed files to a network drive, so that in case, the tool has a bug and removing/updating a software requires a … By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.

The Windows Update Cleanup is only available for Windows Server 2008 R2 (Windows 7 counterpart) after installing this update, you use the the counterpart of Windows Vista which never gets this feature.

How to progress a fantasy novel that is also slice of life? Using DISM when possible is a bit less convoluted. Microsoft didn't make it particularly intuitive in Windows Server 2008 to see the Windows version. An interesting problem with "decomposing" natural numbers. Of course I could be wrong and I will happily to hear about it then. I've seen many articles on using Disk Cleanup with Windows Server 2008 R2 but unfortunately they don't apply to us. Probably not wise to remove the data in this folder. A reddit dedicated to the profession of Computer System Administration. Locate cleanmgr.exe and move the file to %systemroot%\System32. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The second folder stores the Windows Installer files for installed applications, so that they are available if you (or the system) need to repair, modify or uninstall an application. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I'm in charge of a Windows Server 2008 R2 (that I didn't install) that recently raised a disk capacity warning. To know which updates are no longer needed (superseded), open regedit, and go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ComponentDetect\ Windows stores here each installed component + installed updates. .NET libraries from known good machines, etc. As for your question, you can use the Windows Component Clean Tool - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351467%28v=WS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_COMPCLN. Press J to jump to the feed. At the end of the day it's your decision, of course, but there is a lot more at stake than not being able to remove a few patches. If you remove files from there, next time you try to repair, modify or uninstall an application you will be asked to provide its Windows Installer package, which you will probably not have anymore, or which could be quite difficult to extract from the original installation media or setup files. Good candidates are Internet Explorer updates under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ComponentDetect\amd64_microsoft-windows-ie-htmlrendering_31bf3856ad364e35_0.0.0.0_none_933ba3cd22b12888. I found 68GB of msp and msi files at c:\windows\installer that cleanup.exe won't wipe, dating from 2013 onwards. ... Is there a tool that will allows for the safe purging of files from a Windows 2008 R2 Server's Windows\Installer directory? They advice you not to remove items inside this folder. (Added as a side note as it do the exact same thing than the tool), "To cleanup WinSxS you have to manually uninstall old updates"... an update never becomes "old", unless a KB article for a newer update, Cleaning up orphaned Windows Installer files. more sentient species sharing one planet? In short, both your solutions are risky, difficult, not much useful, and much more likely to damage your system. I am hoping there would be no disruption

rev 2020.10.29.37918, Sorry, we no longer support Internet Explorer, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Server Fault works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us, A side note, dism /online-cleanup /spsuperseeded can be used if the tool is not installed. How do I differentiate between addressing two professors with the same last name? Something I’ve scolded my techs on is using third party software, which leads to many more problems than it resolves. Unfortunately, this has the side effect of the folder contents growing in size each time any update is installed. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. To cleanup WinSxS you have to manually uninstall old updates. On launch, Disk Cleanup prompts for the drive you want to clean up . Locate cleanmgr.exe.mui and move the files to %systemroot%\System32\en-US. Select the C drive and click OK. Several options are provided for cleanup, including a new option for Windows Update Cleanup: After preceding the cleanup a reboot is required to complete the cleanup process. Is having major anxiety before writing a huge battle a thing? I'm pretty sure I wont be doing rollbacks on Windows updates that need files from those years. How to increase quality of photos taken through dslr?

How to enable the Disk Cleanup tool on Windows Server 2008 R2 Search For Search For some odd reason Microsoft decided to leave this feature disabled by default, and place it within a optional feature set called “ Desktop Experience .
If you delete them, you will also have problems updating or reinstalling the softwares related. I've had to work with servers in this position where quitting wasn't an option and it took over a day to recover piece by piece, reading endless msiexec.exe logs, putting manual registry entries back into place to resolve .msp missing prerequisites, copying Speaking from experience, I'd stick with rj's first line and recommend you do not go down this route as it's a bit more complex than it looks.

Bad things will happen. Windows Server 2008 R2 - Purging Data from the Windows\Installer Folder. So far I have no experience with this so I hope I am not back in this forum later warning everyone not to do this.

Do NOT manually go in and delete files from WinSxS. How would blasting a barrage of arrows with heat affect the metal arrowheads?