The biggest difference is weight. Unlike a dual-clutch, which uses helical-style gears, a sequential has straight-cut gears, meaning less power loss traveling through the transmission into the axles. In the past decade, dual-clutch transmissions have come to dominate the performance car market. Advertising - Thanks everyone. (This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 08:13 PM by, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM by, http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=47188, http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=54942. Question for owners of 2019 or 2018 zf8 boxes. Had a Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG. What about reliability and maintenance on the DSG box? They're used in everything from hot hatches to the latest, greatest hypercars. That's why you don't see many sequential gearboxes used in street cars. I have the DCT gearbox on my M3.... and I hate it. Some say it's an automatic. Die Firmenwagen hatten das 6-Gang DSG und Privat fuhren wir erst ein 5-Gang, jetzt das 8-Gang von ZF. This content is imported from YouTube. We may earn a commission through links on our site. MR_Y ///M Stripes > Everything. Where Does Scott McLaughlin Go From Here? Great forum! You can never directly compare a Dual Clutch vs a traditional automatic. Cookie Policy - The DSG is slightly better in all other situations. Nate Vincent of FCP Euro put together a great video comparing his GTI TCR race car's old DSG dual-clutch transmission to a new sequential transmission that his team will use for the 2019 season. The eight-speed ZF 'box on the other hand is in a completely different league. at parking lot speeds), and is better suited for the less torquey 3.0T by allowing the torque converter at low speeds to instantly get engine speed up. Privacy Statement - Dual-clutch transmissions are marketed as some of the quickest-shifting gearboxes on the planet. Thanks everyone! Contact Us - at parking lot speeds), and is better suited for the less torquey 3.0T by allowing the … I really appreciate the informative posts. 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R 30TH Anniversary Edition... Greeeen! But when it comes to actual racing, they're still not the gearbox of choice. The full video goes into much more detail, so if you've got a few minutes to kill, it's certainly worth a watch. This content is imported from {embed-name}. Terms of Service - You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. Hated the gearbox, mostly one of the reasons i only kept the car for a very short period of time. Including the flywheel and clutch, the sequential weighs nearly 100 pounds less than the DSG, which is a huge amount … Now, they put that in there for what I like to think fuel economy, but Audi put the 7 speed in for performance. 01-04-2019, 12:42 PM . The Bugatti Bolide is a Lightweight Track Monster, Mercedes-AMG Black Series Was Built for Records, Why The Hippest Man In Streetwear Loves the E30 M3, Introducing Shop R&T, Road & Track's Online Store, The Ram 1500 TRX's Gas Mileage Is Hilariously Bad. At low speeds, especially when slowing down (coasting) for a stop sign or traffic light, and stop and go driving, the automatic is better. #10 Cadillac Wins Petit Le Mans As Leaders Wreck, #7 Acura, #24 BMW Lead Petit Le Mans at Halfway, Where To Watch The Bathurst 1000 And Other Racing, Chase Elliott Wins Wet-into-Dry Roval Race, Watch Tommy Kendall Explain A Simulated Roval, Where To Watch Racing This October Weekend, Denny Hamlin Wins Long, Absurd Talladega Race.